Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Prep Question for Rhino/Line-X Lining

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Qubit, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Qubit

Qubit Registered Member

I've decided to do the prep work for a rhino/line-x spray (haven't decided which one yet).

I noticed a rubber overcoat on the floor in the driver and passenger foot areas. It looks like it was put there when the blazer was assembled at the factory.

Has anyone tried to remove this? Any tips on how to get it out? It's the most difficult part of the prep work I've attempted...

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well first thing to do it talk to one of those companies. My understanding is rattle can paint has some reaction and the rhino may not stick to it. SO befor you go cleaning rust and sprying rustolium check with them. The stuff bonds just fince to steel so taking it in with a few bare spots where you cleaned the rust should be no problem. As for the prep...bring it in as stripped as you can to get the best price. Just bring it in with nothing but a driver seat. Top off would help too. will make it much easier.

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I did, and it is a SOB! I used a very sharp chisle and started at an edge and it came up fairly easily, but it was a tedious job. I didn't have a large rt angle grinder with a wire brush, that might have done the job also. I also smoothed down all joints where the factory used a caulk to fill the joints. Prior to Rhino lining, the shop that did the work sanded all surfaces that got the lining. Any of the rust spots that I found were just ground down smooth, I did not paint over them.

See my interior pics on my site shown below.

4. Qubit

Qubit Registered Member

Well, after actually doing it successfully, I can answer my own question...

A heat gun worked great. Setting it at 500 degrees Fah., I was able to heat the material, and easly lift it off with a scraper. Took about 1 hour to do both sides, with no soreness in the hands /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

5. 76JIMMYWPG

76JIMMYWPG Registered Member

My 76 jimmy has, well had carpet until today, and the padding (aka. rust sponge) underneath it has created surface rust and pitted in some places, now I was told to try sandblasting, but the guy at that shop said if my truck didn't look so good, he'd do it, so he said to just wire wheeel it and clean it up good, anyone have suggestions? should i grind or sand down the pitted areas or just clean them up good??

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I used POR-15 on all rust, but you have to use POR 15's Top Coat Primer over the POR -15 or the rhino or line-x won't stick. I lightly sanded everything else and wiped it all down right before I took it in. Hate to see what they would've charged me had I not totally prepped it (my line-x was pretty expensive).

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

prep ypu wallet for a big chunck to come out of it.

i herculined it myself for less than $150. it came out great, saved me money, and got the same effect.

if you can manage to not get any herculiner on your hootus, you'll be fine./forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

8. racercrazy

racercrazy 1/2 ton status

I just did the Herculiner and it turned out great. Did it myself, two coats. Done. I didn't have to clean much of the old floor because I replaced it all from firewall to rear beam, so there was little prep work. But like I said (and zakk) it turned out great and CHEAP!

9. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i just did what your talking about 2 weeks ago. the best thing i found was a 4" angle grinder with a wire wheel on it. even after you get the rubber crap off you still need to get down to bare metal every else. i did the whole floor in about 2-3 hours. if you click my sig there is a album about it.

10. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

I wondered if the herculined hootus was going to come up. Obviously no pun was intended...