Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Prep work for painting a top?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kyle89K5, Sep 26, 2001.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Is there any real? I'm just wanting to shoot a quick coat or two on, but I don't want it peeling back of any time soon. Not worried about smoothing it out either, I been running a softop for the last little while and kinda got used to the black, figure I better paint my top.

Kyle
    89K5

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

If you aren't worried about smoothing it, wipe the hell out of it with reducer or TecClean, scuff it good with a ScotchBrite, and wipe it with one of the above again.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I just smoothed and painted one, and the only thing I really did was prime it. It seemed to soak up a lot of the primer, but I'm thinking that's because I smoothed it.
    Otherwise, pugs idea sounds good.

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

yup, i just litely sanded the top and wiped it down with aceton and then a tack rag. then i rolled on two coats of some sorta rustoleum pruduct (it's oil based just like the spray but comes in a grey can) anyways it's been two years now and nota chip,crack or peal anywhere.

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Adding something I forgot - don't use lacquer thinner or MEK!! Use acetone or acrylic enamel reducer - lacquer thinner will craze the fiberglass, and MEK will just basically turn it into sticky primordial ooze.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

thanks guys. I've gotta get it up to the booth so we can shoot it. I'm getting ready to spray the whole dang truck, just got curious on the top.

Kyle
    89K5