Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Preparing for water crossing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84k5, Dec 2, 2001.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

A trail I would like to do involves crossing about 3' or so deep water. My k5 has a 4" lift and 33s. I would like to know what I need to do to keep water out of the inside of the vehicle, and anything else I ought to do/check before going through the water. I'm sure its easier to prevent damage than have to fix it after the fact. TIA

Brian

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Check the condition of the breather tubes that go to your front and rear diff's and to the t-case. If they are clogged or missing, then water may get into these areas and wreak havoc. Alos measure the distance from the ground to the tip of the breather tube and elevate them if the are under 3'. With a 4" lift and 33" tires, you shouldn't have to worry about water coming into the cab in 3' of water.

3. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Snorkel, hip waders, and someone with a winch....thanks Todd!!
    Make sure you ain't gonna suck water in if you happen to hit a hole. Make sure your oil, tranny sticks are sealed. The oil fill plug has a cover on it. Make sure yor fan will shut off when it hits water....you don't wanna have to change a radiator in the middle of nowhere do ya? Got everything that might get underwater protected? Think about your center console, CB, CD player, stereo, pop cans.....
    All your breather tubes for the diffs and tranny. Water in them ain't good.

If you are driving through you don't have much to worry about, but if yer like me and like to make sure I get water everywhere, including inside the engine........

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all!!

4. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Use some dielectric grease on your spark plug boot (both ends) and keep a can of wire dryer in the rig. Some people even RTV the dist. cap down and vent the breather off of it. Make sure your intake is shielded enough to deal with some water, the factory snorkel workd pretty good for this. Extend your breather lines (diffs, tranny and tcase) Check your door seals as well.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

5. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

Make sure your airfilter is on tight and if you have an after market one with the filter exposed make sure its water resistant. Saw a guy suck a lot of muddy water through a paper filter like that one time. I like the stock setup on my 88.