Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Prepping my K5's body for Line-X

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Aug 29, 2003.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Prepping my K5\'s body for Line-X

I am getting ready to do some serious rust replacement /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif on my '84. After the whole tub is nice, clean, and rust free, I want to Line-X it to protect all of my hard work. So, I am at least going to do the inside and maybe the underside if I get really crazy. As far as the inside goes, what does the tub need to look like for the Line-X guys? Does it need to be wire-wheeled and then primered, or can any of it be bare metal? Does it stick to just about any paint? Eastwood has this nifty rust encapsulator product that's supposed to totally stop and seal rust. As far as the underside goes, is it a real PITA /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif to prep? I know mine has 19 years worth of grease, diesel, mud, etc... under it and I'm sure all of that has to go before they can shoot it. For those of you who have done both sides of the body, did you gut the tub and pull it off of the frame to work on it? That seems like a tough project to do in a garage. Can several big strong men pick the empty tub off of the frame? Lots of questions I know, but this is my first Line-X experience on anything but a pickup bed. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Prepping my K5\'s body for Line-X

Most places just need the shine off the paint. Scuff it out real good and you should be good to go. When I did my herculiner, that's all I did, ran a brillo pad over the whole interior till it was nice and dull (at least what paint was left) It doesn't like to be on rust, but bare metal shouldn't be a problem.

KP

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

BigJBear had his done in Rhino. He had done soe work on the tailgate and rattle can painted the inside. The guy at the shop that was going to do the Rhino point blank told him the Rhino may not stick to the rattle can paint. sure enough it is lifting after a couple of years. Where is was just the factory paint it has stayed down.

Talk to the shop that you plan to have do it and let them know your in the middle of repairs and what paints to avoid.

4. steelsoldiers

Good idea, I just got online and found a Line-X shop about 10 miles from here so I'll give them a ring and see what all they have to say. I'll post what I find out. Thanks. Anybody have any experience removing the tub? The more I think about it the tougher it seems to do /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It's just a matter of picking it up. You would not believe how much the suspension will unload as you lift off the tub. You will have to lift it a good 12 inches to get it off the frame.

6. steelsoldiers

OK, I just got off of the phone with the Line-X guy and he told me that as long as I get rid of all surface rust and cover everything with a self-etching epoxy primer, that'll be just fine. He said he is getting ready to do a similar job on his truck and that he is going to paint it with POR-15 first and then Line-X it. He also told me that if I want to spray the bottom of the tub that I need to make arrangements to borrow a rotisserie so that he can rotate the tub on during the process. I have no idea where I could get on of those... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.

Car resto shops are most common place to get one.

8. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

as the owner of a rhino dealership i can tell you exactly what you need to do.
    Step 1- clean with thinner, sand all paint, scrub with a wire brush all metal, clean, sand, clean, scrub, clean.
    step 2 repeat step 1
    step 3 yep you guessed it start again.

The prep work is the key to a good liner. just make sure you get any loose paint off and bare metal is clean and rough. I know rhino sticks to bare metal without primer great but i don't know about line-x.

9. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

good luck finding a line x, or any other kind of spray in bedliner that can get the underside as much as you want. they can do wheel wells no problem, they have to have a lift to spray the underside fully. as for it sticking the paint has to be roughed up and CLEAN. im talking NO oil and NO rust. some 80 grit paper and a random orbit sander with 2 passes will do the paint fine. may want to look into spray on under coatins. the same stuff thats under your truck now, but an improved make of it. works well, looks good and cost the same almost.
    Grant

10. steelsoldiers

I think to do a really good job on the underside, I'll have to pull the tub off, and that seems like a real tough job to me. Lots of wires, linkages, bolts and not to mention a heavy tub even when empty. Hmmm... It would be sweet to have access to everything from above when rebuilding my tranny/t-case and installing my 60/14-bolt, plus I could grind, box, weld, paint, etc... my frame a lot easier with the body off too. Anybody have some stories about tub removal? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Thanks.

Chris