Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Prerunner Bumper

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hpfire7227, Jul 25, 2000.

1. hpfire7227

hpfire7227 Registered Member

Anybody know where I can find one of those Prerunner style tube bumpers? You know, the kind that is made of narrow tubing and has that sharp angle in the middle. Anyone....anyone....

10 BOLTS O' FUN

2. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I haven't found very many for fullsize trucks, only lightweight "cosmetic" ones. If I can get access to a decent tubing bender I'm going to make my own. When I get home later I'll post a picture of what I want to build. If you just want one for looks, Smittybilt makes a nice one. It bolts on to the top of the factory bumper to protect the grill. I guess it's pretty strong but it doesn't wrap underneath so there's no skid plate. If someone knows where to get a more functional one I'd like to know too.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

3. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I have the smittybilt pre-runner style bumper on my K5. It was pretty cheap and looks great. It is a little flimsy mounted but still would do about as good as a factory bumper. They are made to go on over your existing bumper but I installed mine without it. I have attached a pic for you. Contact http://www.smittybiltinc.com or 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mudzer 1978/91 K5

4. hpfire7227

Thanks Mudzer...what you have there is exactly what I'm looking for. How hard was the install and what kind of $$ are we talking? Thanks.

10 BOLTS O' FUN

5. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I purchased mine from 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers in Denver, CO while on a business trip. They shipped it to my door for around $190. The installation is a breeze, you drill 2 holes in the frame for the skid bar, the rest is bolt-on. The bumper is made to go on over the factory bumper, but I chose to install it without my factory bumper. I trimmed the front of my fenders to give it a better look. Total installation is less than an hour. Get the bumper with the skid plate, I opted not to get the skid plate but I should have. That will make the bumper slightly higher in price at probably around $230.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

6. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

7. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Hey me and my friend couldn't find what we were looking for so we decided to make our own. We have an arc welder, cutting torch, and chop off saw. We don't bend any of the tubing, rather we use the chop off saw and make the angles are needed to make the turns. It really looks good if you get the angles perfect and everything lines up. It is really hard to do so if you have any questions we have learned in our screw ups just im me. Oh yea and build everything in PVC first. Lot cheaper and easier then screwing up your tubing. Hope this helps someone. - Doug

Doug Krebs

8. hpfire7227

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the tools, time, or knowledge to fabricate my own stuff, I wish I did. The ones from the specialty shops are nice...now I'm thinking about a rear bumper too....

10 BOLTS O' FUN