Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Prerunner 'burb...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77K5Blazer, Jun 20, 2001.

1. 77K5Blazer

77K5Blazer 1/2 ton status

Prerunner \'burb...

I had an idea that I think sounds great! First of all, does anyone know if the width of a Blazer and a 'burb are the same? I was wondering if you could chop off the rear top of the burb and mate a blazer hardtop on, so you could remove it for some open-air running! I think that a 2-wheel drive 'burb with i-beam suspension from a ford and lots of wheel travel would be a great pre-runner or race truck! Think about it, a 502 BBC purring, four of your closet friends, blasting accross the desert at excessive speeds, and still room in the back for spares and parts! Full cage, and 'glass fenders, 37 inch BFG's, OMG I am getting way ahead of myself, just had a HAPPY thought! What do you all think?

<font color=red>1977 Blazer, GM350, SM465, NP205, Dana 44/ 12bolt, 31x10.50r15 BFGs</font color=red>
    "Awh....Prarie $hit!!" -Blazing Saddles

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Re: Prerunner \'burb...

I've seen a Burb with a Blazer rear grafted on at Parker last summer - It was sharp too! It was a 4 wheel drive though.

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A>

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You said that F word! Don't say the F word!
    STEVE YOU NEED TO ADD THAT F WORD TO THE CENSORED LIST.
    Pro Fab and Fab Tech both make pre runner parts that will work the 2wds. That's not enough I would go all custom stuff with fox racing shocks if I was going to the trouble of doing any sort of long travel conversion. Form a Instalation stand point it wouldn't be any harder and actully be more adjustable so your not having to get them I Beams bent to get the camber set.
    Not sure I would want to fly 6500lb of Suburban though...get pictures if you do [​IMG]
    (little secret...Mr's Reapers 79 K5 is for sale because we need 4 doors with the new baby. Trying to talk her into a 87-91 suburban C20. The secret plan is once the baby isn't in the baby seat and so difficult for her to load and in a regular baby seat is to go Pre runner style with some 33's)

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    Grim-Reaper

4. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

There was a thread about converting the top a couple months ago, try doing a search.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

5. 77K5Blazer

Sorry, didn't mean to say the F word, but I was just thinking out loud! I don't think that a burb in the air would be too bad, if you balanced it right, adding weight in the rear for balance, you could probably make a good flyer, just make sure the suspension is up to it! I am not saying that I am going to do it, I just like to think of new things, I am going to make some drawings and see what I come up with! I was thinking you could pull the rear doors, add the removable top, go full cage, you know the rear cages that have shelves for holding two spares and gas cans and various other stuff, still have four captains seats, and be able to have a lot of fun! If I can get some good drawings to come out of my head, I will find a place to scan them so I can show you guys, I have today off, so I am going to start them, anybody else interested?

<font color=red>1977 Blazer, GM350, SM465, NP205, Dana 44/ 12bolt, 31x10.50r15 BFGs</font color=red>

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

someone cool to talk to about prerunners is Micheal off here. His prerunner '75 blazer is badass. He lives in my hometown and we talk shop now and then about suspensions, and whatnot. Pretty knowledgable guy.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Oh man...laketex is butterin' me up...must want something[​IMG]. I think it's a cool idea!! I'd cut the top and scrap the removeable hardtop idea....just throw on a bikini top.....let the wind blow! I do think "Custom"( that way they wouldn't be off a **rd) I beams are the cheapest way to go for lots of travel.....check out the July Off-Road for a Blazer with this setup....30" of travel!! Check out http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

LOL How'd you know....got 132' of tubing....and you've got a bender.

[​IMG]

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>

9. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

The F**D suspension would be a complete PITA to adapt, because 2wd ford frames are nearly a foot and a half narrower than a GM up front. The best setup would be a custom engineered IFS, but the GM a-arms can be built to work pretty well.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A>

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah I saw that thing. It's awsome. There was another built that there is a write up on Off-Road.com/Chevy. They couldn't get out to take a high speed run so they were jumping it off a loading doc! hahaha was pretty awsome.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    Grim-Reaper

11. 77K5Blazer

I am not sayking that I can do it, just thinking about years down the road when I might have some more money to play with! I love the thought of building a truck that can smoothly travel at extremely high speeds accros extremely rough terrain! And then there is the tought of air time, just does something for me [​IMG]!

12. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I've seen a lot of Chevys, Blazers and Pickups, with the I-beam suspension. It's sure it's not a bolt in, but it's been done enuff that it's pretty well ironed out. 19-20 inches is fairly easy with I-beams.....stock GM a-arms will get ya 9" tops....with the rubber stops removed(sucks trust me). Fabtechs (around $1500) will get ya around 12 inches...after that it's big dollar custom a-arms......check out the Race/Prerun Blazers on my site.....all I-beams. I too used to speak ill of I beams, camber change etc., but they work well in the dez. After all we're just dreaming here anyway......[​IMG]

Michael[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</A>

13. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

One of the fabricators is actually developing a GM I-beam kit, problem is it's only coming out for the 88 and ups.

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Check out www.fly-n-hi.com. They did a TTB conversion on a burb. You can keep the 4wd and have some wheel travel. Best of both worlds.

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"