Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

prescription safety glasses?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTChevy, Sep 30, 2006.

1. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I just got back from my school deal and the glasses they provide you with dont fit at all if you have glasses. can anyone recommend a pair of safety glasses that can use or have prescription lenses?

2. MTChevy

3. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Are you looking for something you might wear in public and are safety glasses or just simply safety glasses that are comfortable? They are two different things.

I had a set of glasses that looked like regular glasses when I was in the Marines a few years ago. They were safety glass rated and were very durable. If I had ever bothered to use them they came with removable side protector thingies.

I've also seen regular safety glasses that you could order lenses of your perscription for.

Talked to your eye doctor? Bet they'd have some options.

4. MTChevy

being that im 700 miles away from home i dont have any of my prescription stuff, can i just go to the local place here? I need safety glasses that are comfortable. Just to wear while im working on vehicles. but prescription, not a fit over type. The ones we were provided with were the glasses that work like goggles kind.

5. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Do you have optometry insurance or are you on someone's insurance? If so figure out who in your local area accepts that insurance and head over there. Calling the insurance company can usually get you a list of local providers.

Hell, just do like I do...squint and hope nothing happens...now that I said that I'm going to have to start wearing a patch or something soon...:doah:

You could always check into some basic, heavy duty perscription glasses. A few of my coworkers have them and they have the shields on the sides and heavy frames. We called them BC's in the Marines for Birth Control. Meaning no one of the opposite sex would ever want to sleep with you while you are wearing them...yeah...they're ugly...but mine got stepped on once and came out fine. Needless to say most of us in the Marines replaced them as soon as we could after bootcamp. Great for working on stuff though and I bet they're not expensive.

6. MTChevy

im on my parents insurance still for a little while

7. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I would call your optomitrist and ask them what your glasses are? Mine are regular glasses but are safety glass rated... and you may just need to get a letter from them stating that they are acceptable as safety glasses... Also check with your school and see what they require.... But most non-glass glasses are now safety rated...