Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Preservation

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Voodoo Child, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Registered Member

I'm a proud new owner of a 91 K5 with only 63K miles. The truck is immaculate and was garage kept by the original owner. I'm truly blessed.

I was wanting to get recommendations on what to put on my interior dash to keep it from cracking in the sun. Also, I'd like to know what to do to my window weather stripping (Particularly the rear exterior weather stripping) to keep it from cracking and deteriorating.

Please feel free to email me if you prefer: my email address is lionsbaseball@aol.com

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  2. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

For the dash, one of those dash carpets? I know JC Whitney has a nifty molded plastic cover, that looks like the stock dash but fits over it.

As far as the rear window trim, I dont know. Mine just came apart last week, and I'm going to ignore it since the top is coming off next month and probably never going back on...

Welcome to CK5!

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

No chit! Thats a score!!!!!!!!

4. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

JC whitney and LMC truck sells complete weather stripping kits for the rear tailgate and everything else. The only thing you can do is replace the weather stripping as it begins to age and crack.

5. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I bought an 89 garage kept one owner with 44K and Street tires in 97 for $5000...you scored a sweet deal...

Trick I was told by a Texas body guy....use Baby Oil on your rubber gaskets...Silicone products don't penetrate...the rubber will still deteriorate because of the ozone in the air, but you can slow it down some...I use it religiously on my stuff...the tailgate/windows have held up well, but the cab gasket across the top will get replaced when I paint the truck maybe later this year...My truck is still garage kept. Dirt and moisture will hasten deterioration of seats and carpet assuming you have velour.

I have a dash carpet from Autozone on my slightly cracked dash...held on with velcro ( used a little extra for a better fit)...pretty good quality for $35 or so. It doesn't get as hot or hold heat. Also use reflecto windshield shades...I use them as a habit on the wife's Altima and my Vette....Dark tint sides and rear helps some and looks good...We routinely have 20-30 days a year over 100*....we even hit 84 one day last week....figure what those poor guys in AZ and NV go thru...

6. Voodoo Child

I think so too. When I was growing up, my brother had a '74 Blazer. I learned how to drive in that thing and had some really great times in that truck. Ever since, I've always wanted one of my own and now that I'm 41, I finally have it. Hard to imagine someone dreaming of having an older K5, but believe it or not, it's been my dream for a very long time.

My truck is all black. It's a Silverado. Grey interior. There's not a mark or spot on the whole truck. It's also completely rust-free as it was garage kept. The original owner installed a visor, nerf bars, cd player, and a remote starter. It came with a factory towing package, posi-trac rear, power windows and doors, and alloy wheels. He put on BF Goodrich All Terrain tires (original size) and they're basically brand new. IT also has what appears to be factory adjustable mirrors. I'd appreciate it if someone could confirm that that was an option that year. I'm trying to think of more details to tell you, but I'm running out.

My biggest worry is something happening to it. I made the mistake of Armor-Alling the dash and interior. Someone told me that the stuff accelerates the aging process and will actually make it crack. I'm considering getting one of those dash covers to protect it. I have towels on the seats and floor to keep them from getting worn or dirty. It's my daily driver, but it's also my baby. I'm babying it driving and I'm getting between 12 and 14 mpg. I paid $6300 for it.

Any thoughts?

7. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a sweet deal....and those power mirrors are factory! SWEET! As far as the rubbers and inside go, there is some stuff called 303 protectant that I have found works very well, and lasts. Summit sells it and some other places. I'll see if I can find there site for you.
    Here ya go:
    http://www.303products.com/

Get some pics up of that thing....not very many original owner trucks out there these days...especially in the condition of yours:thumb: :saweet:

8. Voodoo Child

Finally a picture of my baby

[​IMG]

9. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Run away from here!!!!!! Mine was not as cherry as yours when I got it, but after less than a year here, interior is ripped out, lift kit is going on, parts taken off for good, a few new dents, engine compartment getting ripped apart, etc.... the wife won't ride in it now. Thats a real nice looking truck.

10. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

One of the best things you can do for the dash is get a sunshade to put up in the windshield while it's parked. The heat combined with direct sunlight is the obvious killer so eliminate it. Some of the more expensive ones work well enough to make a slight difference in interior temps too.

Btw, VERY NICE truck! Excellent score! :thumb: :thumb:

11. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I second the fitted dash carpet cover suggestion. They are great for both keeping a primo dash pad from fading and cracking, as well as for covering up a cracked dash pad (like mine).

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Run fast, run far. That is a beautiful truck.:bow: Just keep that in mind once you get the urge to improve it just a little...:rolleyes: