Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Press on P/S pulley?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Triaged, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I just got a remote res. P/S pump (Atsco7052 from AutoZone). This is a link to the NAPA version with some pics:
    http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/NAPAonline/search_results_product_detail.d2w/report?prrfnbr=15528658&prmenbr=5806
    Now I need a pulley that is a press fit that will line up with the factory brackets (w/ AC) on my truck. I just got one from a chevy van (that I also got the res. from) but it is too deep. It looks like it would line up with the 2nd groove from the front (where the factory AC lines up) insted of the very front groove.

What should I look in at the J/Y to find the right pulley?

Edit:

I'm editing this post because I can't post in this forum because my membership just expired.

I found out that the P/S pump will not work with the factory bracket. The return line is in the way. I looked up a 86 G10 Van (which is what I got the res. from) and it looks like it will work.
    http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/NAPAonline/search_results_product_detail.d2w/report?prrfnbr=15528260&prmenbr=5806&usrcommgrpid=88533406
    [​IMG]
    As a bonus it looks like it will hold more fluid then either stock or that hydroboost pump.
    I'll bolt it up today and get some pics. I don't think that Vette pulley will work but I'll soon find out. If it doesn't I'll return it for the one Jeff posted.

Thanks all for the help!

2. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I know Corvettes used a short water pump with a pressed on pulley, but I don't know if it has the same offset as the old trucks do.
    If worse comes to worse, you can take the shaft out of your old pump and put it in your new pump. Tear your old pump apart, remove the rotor from the shaft, install the rotor from the new pump on the old shaft and re-assemble the new pump to create a remote reservoir pump with a keyed shaft. Sounds like a bunch of work, but it really isn't difficult to do.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

None of the wrecking yards around here have vetts in them. I was hopping there would be something more common...like some chevy monte carlo with no AC or something like that.

4. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You might get lucky and find something that will work for you, but, the bitch is, you really need to find something with a short water pump and a non-keyed shaft. I can't think of a later application, other than a vette, that uses a short water pump. Passenger cars quit the short pump in '68 (except vette which kept it until '82) and all the '68 and down applications will have keyed shafts /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I realize you probably don't want to, but changing the shaft into your new pump may be the easiest way to go. If your old shaft is jagged up, I may have one here that will work for you.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

That wasn't the answer I wanted /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I'm going to try diging around the j/y one more time. Maybe something from a Ford or Dodge will work? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I have heard they have the same press fit type hub.

6. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I just went down to the chevy dealer and had him pull a couple different types off the shelf. I found the right one and bought it for IIRC about $25. I bought a dual groove one for a better chance at lining up with my crank pulley. Good luck.

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You wouldn't happended to have saved the part # would you? Maybe I'll hit up the dealer in the morning.

8. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Sorry about the delay. I may have the receipt in a folder full of truck info. I'll try to dig it up tonight or tomorrow....
    Jeff

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

That would be great. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I just picked up a late 70's early 80's Vette pulley from the dealer.
    Part# 14023175

It has about .5" of back spacing while my factory one had about .75" I might be able to just press it on farther...I'm not sure. I might have time later today to mock it up and find out.

ZZ4x4,
    The part # should be on the pulley as well if that makes it any easier.

11. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Alright, I think I found the correct receipt. It shows part number 14023173. This is a dual groove press fit pulley that lines up with the rear two grooves in my crank pulley.
    Hope it helps..
    Jeff