Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Press the clutch and the frame rail moves? uhh is this a bad thing?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Aug 31, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I know k5 frames are twisty and all but my buddy noticed yesterday that when I press my clutch pedal the frame rail pushes away from the motor. Like the frame pushes out at the top where the Z bar mounts and the bottom stays pretty much the same. I got it pretty crossed up last night and never had clutch issues. well except once when I clutched in the middle of a mud hole by accident and dropped it. No damage just a little fun.

2. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

That really sucks, sounds like a badly cracked frame. Have someone keep pushing the clutch in and out and you get under the truck and try to spot where the frame is moving.

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I have noticed that the K-5 frames flex/twist way more than I am use to . NEVERENUF had some frame flex and firewall deflection problems when he was running a stick with a C-50 style pressure plate in a K-10 .
    I am trying to help my frame in that area a little bit by adding a pre 1972 2WD style rear engine crossmember - maybe it will help keep the frame from pushing out at the Z-bar connection ?
    Good luck with your problem - I hope your frame is not cracked and it just turns out to be the usual K-5 frame flex/twist.
    Tom

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

if its cracked I'm on the hunt for a pickup or blazer frame and we will have one hell of a crazy daily driven ride, anyone else have an opinion or experience here?

5. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i cannot say i have ever seen the frame flex with engagement of the clutch, i have seen the body move though. make sure the body is still attached to the frame.

6. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

If you can fix it then do that. Swapping in a frame takes a long time. I am working on my cracked frame. I have the engine out. I am re-inforcing it though for plowing. Go here and you can see what I have done so far. I have a complete machine and welding shop which makes it easier as well, but you get the idea what needs to be done.
    T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I wasn't thinking swapping frames with my K5, I'd find another frame and a truck cab and take my trans and motor and everything else would be new.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It took me three weeks to swap my frame working every night after work last summer.