Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pressure for air horns?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by newyorkin, Mar 16, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Hey all, I just picked up a pair of air horns and am getting set to put them in, but I have no idea what pressure to use. I gave them a puff with the 100psi air hose from my compressor (they sound like a dang frieght train!!), but I don't know if that will start popping seams if I end up holding it wide open in the road one day.

I got them from a junkyard, so there's no packing or anything. I have a small electric "level ride" compressor I'm going to use to fill the tank until I get off my butt and put the York in, and a large PVC pipe as my tank. I don't know how I'm going to setup the release valve to actually use them yet, though....

Suggestions??

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What kind of air horns are they? Are they off a big rig? If they are off a big rig I have some going on my blazer and have tested to see what pressure it takes to make them work and found that anything under 40 PSI didn't work. I am going to check out NAPA for a air/electric valve to work the horns.