Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pressure plates

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevydude, Jan 14, 2001.

1. chevydude

chevydude Registered Member

i just picked up a 80 k-10 with a sm 465and 205transfer
    the clutch is weak and i would like to use a heavy duty pressure plate but dont want a leg breaker,i prefer 3 finger plates over diaphram type this truck has a 4inch lift with new 35 inch bfg mt,s and still running stock 1/2 ton stuff under neath so she,s geared a bit high(i dont know what gear ratio i got)so thats why i would like to go to a heavier clutch\pressureplate setup
    any suggestions are appreciated

marcus

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I have a similar problem. I put a new clutch and resurfaced pressure plate when I put the engine in. It slips when I really get on it and let out the clutch. I've heard good things about Centerforce clutches, but don't have any experience with them.

[​IMG]

3. chevydude

chevydude Registered Member

i have heard of centerforce clutches also but dont know anyone who has used them

marcus

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have a heavy duty replacement pressure plate and clutch disc in mine. Its the 3 finger style. It is a bit of a leg breaker but it does not slip at all. I've heard the diaphram type is a little easier on the leg but I've never tried one. My truck has 3.73's and 35's.

Rene

[​IMG]

5. silver 90

silver 90 Registered Member

I have a Centerforce 1 clutch in my 90 pickup. It has a fuel injected 350, 35 inch BFG MTs, and 3.73 gears. The centerforce clutch has a much softer pedal feel than the stock one but I have never had the clutch slip at all, even under full throttle. The prices aren't too terribly high on them.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I have the diaphraghm type (one with multi fingers, right?) on my K5, 350, 3.42's, and it doesn't slip. It makes for an extremely smooth engagement. Pretty sure the 3 finger is "old school" and the diaphraghm is newer technology. I wouldn't hesitate to use another one, but I also haven't driven it enough to know for sure. I believe mine is a borg&beck piece.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I originally wanted the diaphram clutch, but the parts guy talked me out of it. I heard later that they offer smoother operation. Kind of made me want to go back and bitch at the guy, but I wasn't about to remove it all again [​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

8. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I ran one of the Centerforce diaphram pressure plates behind the smallblock I put in my Landcruiser. I used the truck to tow a bass boat around for quite a few years. Don't have anything but good to say about it. The thing was strong but you didn't have to do leg presses just to be able to work the pedal.

Smitty