Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pressure regulator for ARB locker?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryan B., Apr 15, 2003.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

So i've searched around a bit...
    The ARB locker calls for 80-90 psi, too low and you could risk damage, too high and you'll blow the seals...

MY question is why are people telling me that i don't want to trust the regulator on my powertank to run the ARB? I can turn the pressure down to 80 psi. Isnt that regulator the same as the another.. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Would it make sense to install a seperate regulator with the selenoid under the hood.... one pressure regulator under the hood, and then the one off my power tank. That way it has 2 regulators... and should be blow proof if a regulator goes out. Don't want to be having to replace arb seals.
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What compressor are you running? Just curious...

If your setup is capable of more than the 80-90 you should isolate the ARB purely for the fact that you will have more capacity (faster tire fills /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif).

I am doing the same thing - setting my pump switch with an electronic 150psi switch and a manual adjustable regulator for the ARB.

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Where are you located? We should hook up. I am in Sunnyvale now.

4. Ryan B.

I'm in campbell area.

No compressor... I want to use my power tank, but people say i shouldn't use that regulator!? WTF?

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

There are two kinds of regulators. There are the kind that regulate it to the specified pressure at all times. There are the kind that let the pressure raise (often to the input side line pressure) when there is no air flowing but as soon as the air flows it's back down to where it's supposed to be. Often, if you didn't pay much for it then it's the latter kind.

6. Ryan B.

Ah, And i guess i wouldn't want to use the regulator on the power tank because it has a knob that could be easily bumped and turned up accidently. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif