Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pressure Sandblasting Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikeperez22, Oct 10, 2004.

1. mikeperez22

mikeperez22 Registered Member

I'm getting ready to blast my frame to prepare it for paint. I'm looking into buying a pressure blaster, but I'm wondering if it will be worth it. The local shop charges about $50/hr to blast and I can buy a pressure blaster for just over $100. Does anyone know about how long it takes to blast an entire frame for a Blazer? I need to decide to either do it myself or pay someone. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

If it was me ..pay someone... I have a large 400 lbs blaster ...and I have to rent a towable commpresser every time ..it sucks !!! You reall need atleast 20 cfm .... 30 cfm will work good !!!

3. mikeperez22

mikeperez22 Registered Member

I have a huge air compressor. So that won't be a problem. I just want to know how long it will take. Are we talking 2 hours, 3, 4, etc...

4. seabass44

seabass44 Registered Member

My Uncle has had his own commerical blasting buissness for 25+ years.
    here is the deal. You will end up using 10-20X the amount of sand with a small home unit.
    He can blasdt a frame with 1-2 100# bags in short time. His 1st frame with a little rink dink blaster back in the 70s took 20 + bags of sand!
    and trust me, your home compressor is not putting out enough to be efchint /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif(bad spelling I know) enough. Best just pay to get it blasted. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'm doing mine with a sandblaster I got for 20 bucks /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif I just need sand, gloves, and a respirtor and im set /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a pressure blaster and a 7 HP compressor...

I just use it on stuff...that is hard to send out...

My buddy Marvin has a 200 Hp compressor..
    and a pressure blaster that holds 1 cubic ton of sand..
    with a 1/2" orfice....

With my blaster...it takes 3 times longer to blast.

Most of the time...I find it cheaper..to just send it out!!!

7. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

mine took 6-8 hours it sucked! if you gotta pay someone 100 or 200 bucks and it is done. pay the man1 /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

8. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

My setup (125cfm @ 100psi compressor and pressure blaster using crushed silica and 1/4" nozzle) Can do a bare frame in 1-2 hours depending on the preparation. If the frame comes to me with a thick coating of grease and funk it will take much longer so here's a tip. Before sending a part out to your sandblaster make sure it is clean. Wash any caked mud and grease off. I can cut blasting time and in so diong your cost down a lot. Now if your sandblaster is using industrial grade aluminum oxide and a 220psi blaster he will cut through anything on the frame and have it done in 45 mins give or take.