Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pressure washers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, May 1, 2004.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

This is barely on topic, but does anyone have a recommendation for a pressure washer good for general garage/auto related stuff? I'd like one to wash the K5, blast grunge out of the engine bay and off the underbody, clean grease spots off the garge floor and driveway, etc. I'd also probably want to clean the house and blast the wood deck for staining.

I've been looking at the stuff they have at Home Depot, the gas Hondas and Briggs around 2500-2600 PSI. I hear they have the Hondas on sale at Sam's for around $300, which beats HD by $100 if it's the same model.

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i have a husky which i believe is 1600 PSI, it may be more, anyway it works great on everything i use it on, so i'd assume that the 2000+ psi models are better for the oil and stuff. good luck

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've got one of the electric cheapies that's rated at around 1,300 PSI. It works well, but you have to have patience as is isn't a fast way to clean really nasty stuff. The gas powered models clean a LOT faster.

4. BEHJR

BEHJR 1/2 ton status

Re: Pressure washers - a question

what psi do the car wash pressure washers put out, when working right ??

BH.

5. motofool

motofool 1/2 ton status

get a gas one ive had 10 different electric ones all died on the first day..

ive been looking at the one at home depot 2600 or 2750psi

that is definatly some pwoer..

1600-2200 would be minimum id get..

6. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

I have a 2400psi Karcher that I bought on ebay and it was $400 delivered. It has a Honda 5HP motor and has been a good piece of equipment for many different things around the house and the vehicles.

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I hear they have the Hondas on sale at Sam's for around $300, which beats HD by $100 if it's the same model.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought mine at Sam's. It's a Delta with a Honda engine. Gas powered and very cool. I really like it and am very pleased.

8. motofool

motofool 1/2 ton status

dont have any sams uphere doh

9. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i'm sure you already know ,but when you get it DON'T let it sit running when your not spraying anything.my co-worker burned my pump out doing just that. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I borrowed a 3500psi pressure washer to clean the driveway(my dad was pissed at all the 90w gear oil stains from my 72 k5)--I pulled the trigger and the asphalt blew about 20 ft away ,leaving a huge crater! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif .Dad liked that even less!.Had to fill the hole with concrete.10 years later,there is no trace of the stains now--I guess the acid rain washed them out!.All I can say is BE CAREFUL--the higher pressure ones are better at removing paint than cleaning it!.I'd like to get one someday too,fast way to strip the garage for fresh paint. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifI think its better to leave your gm truck all greasy and leaky,at least around here--it makes them rust alot slower!. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

11. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

Mine is about 2300 PSI, but with a relatively high flow rate (for the cost) of 2.8 GPM.

I would advise against the 3000 psi models that have the lower flow rates (2.2 to 2.4 GPM). They're great for cleaning concrete, though.

On trucks..the paint is short lived at pressures above 2500 psi.

Obviously, don't hold the nozzle directly 1" from the key holes, distributor etc.
    -T

12. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

They sell air compressor powered ones - hook up your hose and your air hose, and voila, pressure washer. Dunno what PSI it comes out at though.

13. Ditchdigger

Ditchdigger Registered Member

I'm lookin at getting one too, but I ain't gonna fool around, I remember when a 1300 was a BIG washer, I'll get a 3000psi and if your gonna wash a car you don't need to be point blank range, and you can always clean cement, strip the house, or wash it, I just think there's more use there.
    and look for a Honda motor, I stay away from Briggs, although I think they may have improved their motors.

14. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I hae a gas and electric pressure washers, Home depot sells a cheap onefor just at or around 100 bucks, 1300 psi is just about right for washing mud and the grime. Any thing more and youwill be repainting sooner than you exspected. Also watch out if you have and chipped paint and carful on factory plastics. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif