Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pressure washers?

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by Esteban86K5, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Anyone have a recommendation on a good pressure washer? I am looking for something in the gas powered 2200 PSI range.

I am looking for something like this from Lowes.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=227825-71025-PW0872400&lpage=none

I saw one at TSC that had different nozzles that looked nice. A little less pressure at 2200 PSI but I liked the selectable nozzles.

I want it for all the misc things around the house. Maybe once or twice a week so I don't need a full blown commercial one but the electric ones seem so weak for some things. Would like to stay in the 275 price range.

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

we've gotten two of those gas powered pressure washers at work over the years. both of them were junk. the seal in the guns constantly blow, poorly designed and cant handle alot of on/off with the trigger. one blew the pump after just a couple uses. i think it was around 500$, so we sent it in under warrenty. 100$ in shipping later, they wouldnt honor the warranty, claiming some BS. we bought the best one they had available both times.
    now we have an electric steam cleaner. works awesome. much better performance with hot water. cost around 1800 new i think. we got ours used for 200 causs it had a small problem.

i'd never buy another washer from any big chain again. much better off getting an industrial steam cleaner used IMO.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I want one too..

I've had two pressure washers in the past...both ended up in the scrap heap after water froze in the pump,and cracked the case,despite the fact I drained them out and blew air thru the lines,etc...:doah: (one I think someone else used AFTER I prepped it for winter storage,but wouldn't admit to it)...:mad:

The ones I see in home centers and department stores seem pretty cheesily built..especially the electric ones..I know a guy who killed one the first day it was out of the box!--and it wasn't his fault--it was just a China POS...

I tend to agree with the post about steam cleaners..they work better than plain pressure washers,and are more ruggedly built..but out of the price range of the usual Joe homeowner for only ocaisional use..used ones can be found,but usually need work--make sure the pump and boiler hold water!..I see many at flea markets and at auctions,but many of them have BIG problems..buyer beware!

My deck needs to be washed badly,and the paint is peeling off my garage--wish I had one to use..I could borrow my friends,but I hate borrowing things..quite often they break while I have them,and I'm held responsible for having it fixed...I might just rent one instead..

4. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

i agree with this. we have a big industrial unit here at my work that is a steam/hi pressure washer that will go up to 280 degrees. its by a company called Alkota Cleaning Systems. they may make smaller sized units too. would absolutely get a heated unit if you can afford it, hot water makes all the difference in the world. I would love to have our unit at home but its huge and very expensive. ours was about 3500 bucks.

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I have a craftsman that I have used heavily for the last few years.
    I think it is a 2200 PSI @ 2GPM. I even let it freeze solid two winters in a row whne I was stationed in Illinois.....just replaced 3 or 4 o-rings and it was good as new.

The only bad thing I have to say about it is that the gas tank was cracked when I got it. I am a cheap ass so I just swap the tank from the lawnmower whne needed.

6. Esteban86K5

I just went and bought the Lowes model I posted above. So far VERY pleased.:D

7. rdn2blazer

cool man! lets see some pics.

8. Esteban86K5

Actually I lied. I just clicked on the link above and realized I bought a different one. The one they have on the website wasn't even at the store. Anyways, I got the Troy Built 2200 PSI with 2.2GPM. I liked it the most out of all the ones in the area mainly because of its size. It was more compact than all the others I saw at Costco, Sam's Club, Home Depot and TSC. PLus like I said it's only for moderate home use so it's specs should be more than enough for me.

[​IMG]

9. rdn2blazer

nice lookin pressure washer. just another toy I want someday too.

10. Esteban86K5

You sound like my Wife. Ohh I like the color. :doah::haha:

11. rdn2blazer

ok.......whats that suppose to mean?

12. Esteban86K5

Nothing, I'm just busting your chops.:D

13. rdn2blazer

I gotcha! thought I was gonna be all pissy did'nt ya, LOL! :haha: :haha: :p:

14. Esteban86K5

Kinda. I was starting to think you WERE just like my wife. MOODY!!!!:o

15. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Yeah i got a 4.5hp crapsman, we got the compact one cause I use to take it to all my motocross races. But its actually held up over the last 4 or 5 years with no big problems. I think ive replaced the hose, b/c it got a leak and maybe the handle part too, but other than that, Ive beaten the crap out of it and its been holding up. I dont know how cold it is where you are but if it gets too cold out, make sure you got no water in it. I use mine sometimes in the winter and have to bring it inside, its fun using when its cold out, you can almost make snow. One time in the winter I sprayed my sisters car with it, her whole car froze up, she couldnt even open her doors , haha she was pissed.