Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pretty 4X4s VS Ugly 4x4's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hardcore_rob, Feb 25, 2003.

1. hardcore_rob

hardcore_rob 1/2 ton status

Pretty 4X4s VS Ugly 4x4\'s

So as I was heading home from work, i saw a lifted and very pretty painted 4x4. Had all sorts of various gizmos painted. had to have been a show truck of sorts. Me in my ugly brown beast...I liked the truck, dont get me wrong, but I would have been afraid of scratching it on the trail.

Whats the point of having/building a 4x4 if it cant be driven off the pavement...???

2. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Re: Pretty 4X4s VS Ugly 4x4\'s

Same question could be asked for people who build sweet hotrods and trailer them everywhere. Some people just like the building and showing, other like building and testing and improving.

3. hardcore_rob

hardcore_rob 1/2 ton status

man, i gotta test stuff out as i build it...thats the fun part

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

what ever cooks your turkey, man.

there are some yahoo's here that think desert racing and mud is the thing to do.

IMHO, if it doesn't crawl, it belongs at the mall!
    (i need to trademark that!)

5. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

haha thats funney as Sh*t man your quote /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Yeah you need a trademark alright thats great stuff. But mine dont really crawl to much but mostly Creeps thru stuff like mud and small cars. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    if it doesn't crawl, it belongs at the mall!

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> That quote requires some Johnny Cochrane tags.

[JohnnyCochrane] If it does not crawl, it belongs at the mall! [/JohnnyCochrane] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

7. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

But there are plenty of curbs to crawl at the mall /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

John

8. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

The guys in pretty lifted trucks don't bother me, its when they think they're hard core that pisses me off /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Zakk I agree with you on the mud thing but some things are better kept to yourself, you might offend people here.. oh wait I forgot who I was talkin to.. nevermind /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Can we get some stickers made of your little quote.. that's classic!

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i think it would be sick to get some of those printed up!

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The guys in pretty lifted trucks don't bother me, its when they think they're hard core that pisses me off /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Zakk I agree with you on the mud thing but some things are better kept to yourself, you might offend people here.. oh wait I forgot who I was talkin to.. nevermind /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

it doesn't bother me. I am of the opinion that if you want a 14" lift for your IFS Chevy with a rear 10B and run 48" michelin's on them, fine...but don't think I am going to say "wow! look at that truck." I'll be saying "wow! look at that mall poser." IMNSHO desert is not "wheeling" its racing. I love racing, we race an RX-7 that most of you know about, but just cuz it is off a paven road, it is not wheeling.

For example: are WRC cars "wheelers"? they are off road, they roll, they crash, they have massive engine, axle, tranny failures...but its racing. just like desert and "rock racing".

so no...ugly trucks rule, and the rule of /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif is that if it doesn't crawl, it belongs at the mall!

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I like the looks of em but I won't be owning a "show truck" anytime soon. Even if I do it will be capable just not used. I really really really think that their need to be stickers sold that say that! And yes mall parking lots can be fun /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. My friend and I were talking today and I told him how I am planning 6" with 37s and he was like, I don't like that stuffed look. I just said sure I don't like the look all that much but I love the functionality.

12. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've been Razzed by fellow wheelers...
    But they usually shut there mouth... when there STUCK in the MUD!!
    But its NOT my fault everything I touch turns to GOLD!!!
    <font color="purple"> Oh.... I Mean PURPLE!!! </font> /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

13. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Gotta put in my two cents worth here.IF it's offroad it can be fun.East of the Miss.River you don't have much choice about mud.My favorite place to wheel is the Tellico area.Lots of rocks to crawl on and suprise,most of the time thay have mud on them.I've been in the mtns. in Colo.,spent most of time in 2WD.did a day run on Mojave road in Cal. and enjoyed it.The most challenging area I do regularly is Tellico type running,mud on rocks.Most pf the rocks out west are like driving on sandpaper,traction out the wazoo.Mud is more than just finding a hole thats been wallowed out and getting stuck.Back here mud runs are a day or weekend long trail{or trial}.Come to the east,try it,you might like it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

if its ugly: you dont have to worry about scraching it, denting it, parking it in a parkinglot on a a windy day with shopping carts going everyware, or getting it muddy and messing up the body on the trail. but it just isnt the same as a pretty truck, but i vote for the not so nice looking trucks, that acctually get used off-road and such.

If its pretty: you gotta watch where you park it, gotta watch out for scraches, dents dings, stones, gotta clean it often, more work on the body that you can spend on the engine\drivetrain. id drive me a beater look'n truck anyday, Oh yea i do /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. maybe when im a old fart i will have a nice looking truck that wont get wheel'd much. but to each his own opinion.

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

you know what they say, whatever tickles ur pickle. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif personally i think its dumb to build a "offroad show truck." cars fine... low riders fine... both can be built so that their main purpose is "looking good"...but the name offroad vehicle implies that it is intended to be used... OFF ROAD. Putting functional offroad parts all over a show truck is just silly unless you are a manufacturer trying to promote parts at a show or something. "wow look, that guy has a fully chromed Warn 15000 winch on his Superduty.... its never been used even once, but it sure looks great!!" /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

to each their own. peeps with "pretty" "offroad" trucks can do whatever they want, they have that right... and I have the right to think they are boneheads for doing it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    j

16. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yur right, i have a picture on my wall of a shortbed chevy, middle 80's baby [censored] brown in color, cromed to the max under neath, chrome frame, chrome leafe springs, lifed of corse, chorme steering box, chormed 10 bolt's /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, chorme skid plate, and alot of other stuff, dont get me wrong, it looks nice, but driving somthing like that is a waste to me, to even build, if your not gunnnna wheel' it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

17. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

Wait a minute.smirk:Whats to say you cant have a good lookin rock crawlin beast.That way you have the best of both worlds.I guess it depends on what you call pretty.I see a bunch of pretty rigs on the mugshot post.(at least there pretty to me)

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

To me, funtional is pretty !!!!

19. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

How about pretty 4x4's that you take wheelen?

20. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

I think the best part of a truck is builing it then trying to break it. Then if you break it you get to build it better! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I would be realy afraid of doing that whith anything new, i like my 80s trucks they are built well and are cheaper to buy parts for.