Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pretty blue smoke?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by only 31s, Dec 21, 2005.

1. only 31s

only 31s 1/2 ton status

coming out of tailpipe aftr driving for a while[10-15 min]if i stop and restart after cooling-exhaust is clean until driven again for a couple of minutes.I have an o2 sensor not giving any codes,i dont know about valves or rings could they be the cause?? 350 tbi 90. any help appreciated! Thanks!

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Since it doesn't do it on start up, I would guess the valve seals are good. Do a compression test to see if you are getting blow-by on the rings

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

is it on accel or on decel that you are getting the smoke? or is it after it idles for a while and then smokes when you pull off?

my k5 used to load up with smoke when it was idling. pulled the valve covers and found that the oil drains in the head were plugged (thanks previous owners) and the oil would collect in the valve covers and then leak down through the valve stem seals. cleaned the holes, changed the oil a couple of times with a 1/2 qt of atf. no more smoke. not even at startup.

just a thought.

ryan

4. only 31s

only 31s 1/2 ton status

it happens after initial idle-then while i drive and when i stop for gas or something,ive heard of the plugged head passages-ill try that next. Thanks!