Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pretty cool picture (.223 ammo)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MTChevy, Jan 14, 2007.

1. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

got bored so i decided to mess around with my camera. I thought this picture looked pretty cool.

[​IMG]

2. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

that is a super cool photo! i'd like to see a bit more focus on the top of the bullet tho.

3. MTChevy

I could definatly learn from you colby!

4. MTChevy

it aint no fancy pants camera

5. colbystephens

looks like it does a damn fine job tho. :D

6. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

I agree, and forget fancy camera... If it has an autofocus on it, then just center the tip of the first shell in the center of the picture, half depress the shutter and the camer should autofocus, then while holding the shutter at half, recenter the shot so the tip is as the top of the frame and take the pic. This is a way to get a cheap simple camera to give you a focus point that is not in the center of the picuture... oh FYI... I just learned this with my camera.

COOL PIC!!!!

7. colbystephens

hmmmm... didn't know that about focusing a regular camera.

8. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Maybe it depends on the brand? My Fujifilm does that.

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That's a cool picture... if I had to find constructive criticism, I'd say the background is a little unsymmetrical. But it still looks cool.
    Mind if I steal it for a desktop background? :D

*edit: re-worded to sound friendlier.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  10. bigbluesuburban

I have owned several 'cheap' digital camera (film cameras too) that would do this. The Autofocus picks the most likely target, which is usually what is in the center of the frame to focus on. And a half trigger usually actuates the focus mechanism. Once everything stops moving and making noise, you can move the camera anywhere else and it will keep those focus parameters. It is a cool way to take offcenter pics and still get good focus on the primary target.

11. bigbluesuburban

Well if we are going to offer friendly advice, then I would say that the background purple thing should be removed and there should be a solid palate for the shot, and move a little to the left so that the two closest shells are equally divided in the shot. This is definatly a symetry shot so get as much symetry as possible...

Oh and by the way, the shot is still very cool, and we all know you didn't ask for criticism so we may be out of line. If so, I apologize. But post more pics man!!!!

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I agree, just realized there was no request for criticism... My bad...

13. MTChevy

Well if i was taking the picture and wanted it to look professional i woulda changed that stuff around. I was just messing around with all the features on my camera. Sometime here I will try to do my best shot and then the constructive critisism will be very helpful. No biggie, all pointers are welcome

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

ha ha, Be proud, it was a better shot than I've taken .

15. colbystephens

i wouldn't recenter the photo to make it more symmetrical. i think it would detract from the composition because it wouldn't draw your eye all over the photo. i could see removing the purple, but i probably wouldn't do that because the purple makes it feel like it's telling a story. the only thing i would change would be to make sure the whole first bullet was in focus.

16. colbystephens

the purple makes you wonder where the shot is being taken... is in in a military base? is it here in the states, or overseas? is it a house...? i like the purple. is it a suggestion toward addressing the concept of a purple heart? etc... leave the purple. :D

17. MTChevy

never thought of it that way...

18. bigbluesuburban

Actually I couldn't disagree more. The lack of centering and symetry in the photo causes the viewer to be distracted by the cluttered elements of the shot. These distractions distract from the overall melody that eminates from the composition. The purple is an obvious reference to the mood the artists was in during the shooting of this photo. And therefore only confuses the viewer and creates an unclear interpretation of the objects. Having the center bullet fully in focus is also a complete and total misuse of the depth of field photo implementation factors. By allowing the parts of the bullet that wish to be out of focus, remain out of focus it gives the overall frame a more organic and natural feel. But do not mistake this natural organic feel for the obvious sloppy and inefficient feel that the lack of centering brings to the entire piece. I think that it is obvious that the photographer intented to take a picture of a bowling ball and this is what happens without proper planning.

19. colbystephens

ok. guess we have different views of how we would do our own art. i tend to find symmetry boring. no biggie. there is no right or wrong.

i don't think the purple is an obvious reference, as you suggest, to the mood the artist was in, due to his most recent post which kinda makes me think he didn't know it was even in the frame, particularly since he was messing around with his camera. besides, if the artist is in a mood to convey his mood, then he's damn well gonna convey a mood, but i don't think it's with a suggestive blurry piece of purple.

still really gonna disagree on the photo looking sloppy due to lack of symmetry. then again, as an aside, i know i'm really not into symmetry... i was just looking thru a bunch of my photos to try to make my point, but i couldn't find any w/ symmetry.

i think obtaining more symmetry and getting rid of the purple would leave this photo sterile.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  20. bigbluesuburban

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Pssssssst... hey, you knew I was kidding around right?

Cause I still wanna wheel with you and I don't want you thinkin' I am nearly that serious about anything except well perhaps guns and my right to carry (see Wanker of the Month nomination thread)

Ok well with that cleared up... back to the stupidity of it all!!!!

:wink1::wink1::wink1::wink1::wink1::wink1::wink1: