Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pretty cool write up on york compressor!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Oct 3, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

oh man that is something I have GOT to do on Insane Ewok! that is pretty cool, and then when ARB comes out with a locker for my 14B FF I'll be all set!

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I would agree that Jeff Holsted did a great job on the writeup. I noticed he did all his own graphics. This guy really knows what he is doing. He has done all the graphics/decals for the runs I have hosted. He is also one hell of a good guy. I will definatley use his installation procedures when doing mine. I have 90% of whats needed to do this, just need a bracket for the engine to mount my Pump. I would have to be done on the side of the stock 78 compressor like Jeff did. Anyone want to make me a bracket??? [​IMG]

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com>www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com</a></font color=blue>

3. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I wasn't under the impression that ARB was considering developing a unit for the 14FF.
    It's basically get a detroit or swap in a d70.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> The mud's on it to hide that it's more than one color.[​IMG]

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Its on the front page of CK5....

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

6. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I have to agree, jeff did a nice job. When i did mine the tricky part is aligning the pullies. quite simple all you have to do is put a long 1/4 strait rod in the grove of the pully and rotate it, or make it point to the other pulley you want to run the belt through. there's some examples on the My Pics<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by arq on 10/03/01 11:19 AM.</FONT></P>

7. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Thanks for the comments guys. Neil, you're gonna give me a good reputation around here if you dont watch it [​IMG].

I have been saying I would do an article for a long time, just never had enough time to do it. Better late than never I guess. I know a lot of the info. in the article can be redundant, especially if you've checked out several onboard air sites. But, I really wanted to get all of the info. together in one place for those who haven't done any research. If anyone has questions about it, I'll give it my best shot to answer them. Several other members have also done York setups so they may have some good info/input too.

BIGJ

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Thanks Jeff!!!!!

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

9. solowookie

I called ARB, and they told me they are going to develope and ARB for the 14B FF... why wouldn't they, there has to be a HUGH market for the stuff. they have one for the 14B SF, and how many people use the FF over the SF???

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

10. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Umm, not to burst your bubble but ARB has been going to develope a 14 bolt locker for the last 3 years now.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

11. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

12. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Ya, sounds like the Electric Locker by Powertrax, they showed a working proto at Sema over 4 years ago,
    still no production units, I think they call that a Dream Locker &gt;

13. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Hey maybe i over looked it but what pulley on the engine did you use? I put my york on the other side of the engine so i could tie it in with my smog pump belt. The smog pump also acts as the tensioner for the belt. Also do ya'll think that there is to big of a tank? I have 3 total, my front bumper and rocker knockers, and it takes a while for the york to pump them up. Combined they are about 8 gallons. Maybe the rings in my york are shot? - Doug

Doug Krebs

14. solowookie

thats OK cuz if I gotta wait another 3 years I'm willing to do that. I've decided I'm not going to run a locker with Insane Ewok until I get something I can activate &amp; deactivate. winter roads around here are just way too severe.

if I decide I've waited too long then maybe I'll look for a rear D60 instead.

15. BIGJ

I used the pulley that used to run the smog pump. If the tank is too big, it will take longer to fill, so the pressure in the system may not stay as high as it would with a smaller tank b/c it has to more to fill. Engine speed also has a lot to do with how fast it fills. 800-1000 RPM should be enough speed to fill quickly. Also pulley sizes will have some effect on the speed. Finding a smaller pulley for the york would help out.

BIGJ

16. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

ok, riddle me this.....i have a serpentine belt w/ the a/c compressor on the right side. can i get a serpentine belt on the york, or should i try to use my existing compressor and just add oil??? this is the only thing holding me back from doing it.

350 TBI, 700R-4, NP241, D44-14FF, 4:10's, 38.5 TSL/SX's, full conv., full cage
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com>www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com</a>

17. BIGJ

Onboardair.com makes a replacement serpentine/v belt combo pulley for alternators. If you could mount the compressor to run off of the v belt coming from the alternator then it could work. I'm not sure if the pulley will fit GM alternators though. I'm also not sure which Yorks came with a serpentine clutch/pulley (supposedly really hard to find), but you can get just the clutch and pulley from onboardair.com for about 100 bucks. Kind of expensive if you ask me. I'd be checking the junkyards. At least you have a few options if you want to run a York.

BIGJ

18. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I hate this web site. Every few months I find another thing I HAVE to do to my truck. heh

Some days I just pray for spontaneous combustionhttp://photos.yahoo.com/dana60manual

19. solowookie

20. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Does anyone know if my freon leaked out and my pumps still hooked up did I cook my pump, or do you have to have the AC turned on....