Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pretty much had it with Rancho

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric M., Mar 6, 2004.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Anyone else had bad experience with Rancho products? I've got 7 trucks, all on Rancho shocks. Looking back, I don't think I've ever received a set of shocks or even a steering stabilizer that wasn't missing parts. Take into consideration the time and other expenses to exchange parts, and for what I ended up spending, I could've got some high end shocks or stabilizers.

I remember the first set of front Rancho springs I got. They were suppose to be 2.5" but lifted the truck 4". I called the tech line thinking they mislabeled the springs. They assured me my original springs had just sagged 1.5". This was an 82 GM and the year was 86 .... a lot of sag for 4 years plus 1.5" of sag pretty much puts the springs on the stops. I was young and not to bright and figured the tech guys were much smarter than I. I went wheelin' and ripped a front brake line out. Turned out they were 4". They sold me their brakeline relocation kit for 4" springs (sold, not GAVE!)

I can't count the number of shocks and stabilizers I've had to replace due to leaks. Atleast most of their products have a lifetime warranty ... but it's a hassel replacing this stuff. Today I replaced one front shock that developed a leak. When I put the shocks on 2 years ago, I remember 2 of the 4 were missing the hardware. When I swapped the bad one at 4WPW today, I didn't think to check the box. Sure enough, it was missing the bushings and I had left all the old ones on the defective shock!

What brands of shocks and stabilizers have you guys had good luck with? I don't mind spending the money if they are more expensive than Rancho ... I just want a product that comes complete the first time and will last a while.

How about a softer stabilizer than the Rancho?

Before you ask, I've used everything in the Rancho line, RS5000, 7000, 9000 and I guess my Burb has the newer 9000x or 90000 or what ever it is.

Thank,

Eric M.

2. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

they're not the best but i have been running the pro comp es 3000 and they come with everything imagineable. new lower mounts for the front (if you have the bolt style.) spacers in a few sizes for inside the bushing, washers, that funky H looking bracket to mount with if you need it.
    and so far they work. they absorb shock.

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'v only had trailmaster shocks and DT's all were complete, and no blow outs yet.

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Bummer to hear you've had probs. I've bought now 5 sets of shocks for various rigs, all Rancho's and could not be happier. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I'm running shocks and stabilizers from Autozone now. They seem to be just as good as many of the "lift kit" brand stuff, plus they have a lifetime warranty and are just down the road in almost town. The price is also probably the best you'll find (usually $20). They probably don't have the stuff for real high lifts, though.

Any part can be a hassle to replace, but you can always drive out of the woods with blown shocks. (Boing! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif)

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Rancho is the Budweiser of shock absorbers.....

7. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Rancho is the Budweiser of shock absorbers.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Rancho tastes like shat too???? Thanks, now I dont have to taste my shocks /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I am perfectly happy with my 12" travel gabrials. I can't wait to get my hydro clutch installed so I can get my ford towers and shocks installed up front.

9. t's85chevyk5

t's85chevyk5 Registered Member

im happy with my doetch techs /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have always had good luck with Gabrial LT shocks and stablizers. They ride lots better than RS5000s.

11. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I run Gabriel or Monroe, depending on what fits, is in stock, and how much they cost. I prefer Monroe.

All shocks are pretty much created equal if they're in the same price range. There are oddballs like Trailmaster which are great low-speed shocks but they fade fast.

I'd rather spend $20 every year and a half than spend $70 on Bilsteins and hope they last 5 years. Since Bilstein shocks have the same shitty chrome and all shocks I've ever had have failed because of rusty chrome tearing up seals I don't think I'll ever buy Bilstein shocks. Plus, I'm a cheap bastard.

The Gabriels I have on the back of my truck right now have exposed shafts so they'll probably only last a year before they're dead weight.