Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pretty Sad [frown]

Discussion in 'Land Use' started by Greenblazer-AZ, Jan 19, 2002.

1. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

YEAH...WHAT HE SAID!!!

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74 K5 Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds (See profile for pics)

2. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

You know, I'd have to agree with you.
    Getting 4 wheelers really involved is like pulling teeth.
    We are not only being challenged by the environmentalists , but also by public opinion. The media has not portrayed four wheelers in the best light,and government will react to public opinion .They want to be re-elected. When you hear numbers speak, it's very true.
    That's why it is so important for everyone to "get it" as some would say

Here in Alberta we are now facing some closures in the Big Horn Area . The environmentalists are making it happen.

For anyone living in the Alberta area here's a message to you;

SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DRIVE ANYWHERE?

TO OHV AND SLEDS

Non motorized supporters and environmental groups are working very hard on a new campaign to get the Big Horn area designated as a Wildland Provincial Park. That means CLOSURE TO MOTORIZED RECREATION. This area stretches south from the Brazeau River down to the Red Deer River and most everything west of the Forestry Trunk Road. Currently under the Eastern Slopes Policy and the Integrated Resource Plan created in the 1980’s, this has been policy in the past and now the government is being pressured to formalize the policy and close all trails in this area to motorized users. With successful environmentalist group pressure, closure could be reality by March 2002. ALL MOTORIZED USERS NEED TO ACT NOW. Presently there is much motorized activity in the area, including OHV and snowmobiling, and without government hearing from the users, it will result in total closure of the area. This could in fact be the template for the whole eastern slopes. Don’t allow this closure to set a serious precedence for future eastern slopes closures. Alberta Wilderness Association (AWA) is publicly attacking the ATV users and specifically the Alberta Snowmobile Association for irresponsible use of the Big Horn Wildland Recreation area. Check out their website at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.albertawilderness.ca>www.albertawilderness.ca</a> AWA is hosting their own public forums separate from the formal government public forums, dates not yet released.

IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT WE GET THE MOTORIZED USERS TO THESE MEETINGS IN LARGE NUMBERS. TELL YOUR CLIENTS, TELL YOUR FRIENDS, TELL YOUR MOTHER. GET THE GANG OUT THERE.

Without trying we will definitely be closed out.

Edmonton – January 22

Centennial Room Stanley A Milner

Downtown Library

100 St 102 Ave., Edmonton

6:30 p.m.

Calgary – January 29

Awa Hillhurst Room

455 – 12 St.

Calgary NW

Red Deer – Feb 13

Red Deer Public Library 4818-49 St

Red Deer

Nordegg – Feb 14

Nordegg Community Hall

6:30 p.m.Watch for these sessions and make sure you attend. Don’t expect the "other guy" to take care of it.

-----------------------------

Every single wheeler should get involved in the group of their area, if not, kiss your truck GOOD BYE

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com/>http://www.whiteknight.scriptma
    nia.com
    </a>

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I have to say Grim is right. You won't know what you're missing till it is gone. There isn't anyplace here really that you can go wheeling legally. There is a small private plot you sign a wavier and pay like 40 bucks for a season pass which is about an hour south of the cities. Dresser, WI has some nice trails, but alot of them are kinda tioght for a fullsize. Buffalo also some trails, but all in all the pickens are very slim and require at least an hour just to get there. Plus availablity is sometimes an issue if you aren't with certian organizations or clubs on some weekends. We have to preserve the few trails and pits we have left. Heck pretty soon I'm gonna be stuck driving to northern MN or far out in WI to wheel. But... I admit I AM GUILTY of not checking out the post as of yet... Thanks for the little poke in the arm to think about Grim. I'm checking out the post now... even if the eco's have hit here hard... 2 or 3 areas an hour away is better then none !

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

4. CaptCrunch

Ok... now it isn't there [​IMG]

-Mikey
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

This is how bad it's gettin in my neck of the woods:

Just before Christmas, a local kid got fined in court for being caught 36 FEET off the pavement in a non-motorized area. The kid claimed he was pulling off the road to have a smoke and watch the sunset over the mnountains. He got stuck in a soft spot and tried to get out but spun his tires too much and dug himself in GOOD!!!!

A conservation officer(up here our fish cops merged with the environment boys- now they are all called "conservation officers") saw the kid and told the kid he was out of bounds and gave him a ticket. And to add injult to injury, he refused to winch the kid out and forced him to call a tow truck!!!!! What a dink!!!!!

I don't know what it's like in some areas south of the border, but the reality up here is that there are very few offroad areas left. You wouldn't believe the amount of Crown Land that is barricaded at old road entrances by huge boulders. I actaully had to take my backhoe and "nudge"[​IMG] one out of the way after they blocked a little road to one of my fishing holes.

I also live about 15 minutes from the most popular National Park in Canada, and our town is slowly adopting Park policies. They are closing HIKING trails because some local bark-eaters claim that the hikers make the elk and deer "nervous"........

If you live in an area that still has good OHV policies, do what you can to keep them alive. The bark eaters are backed by rich, stupid people that love new "causes". If you just sit back, someday the only place you'll be able to wheel is on private land.

The funny thing is, I'm not really a wheeler. I just hate it when people whine AFTER something happens instead of working to PREVENT it.

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Grimm.... Thanks for keeping a<font color=red> land Issues</font color=red> subject up on top of this forum. I hope you continue to do this. Word needs to get out.. The eco nazis want us out of the hills and our trucks/orvs/boats, ect turned to scrap.........
    <font color=red>Too All...........
    Get involved....</font color=red>
    Click here to see how easy it is to help make a diference<a target="_blank" href=http://capwiz.com/share/home/> Sharetrails.org Action Alerts !</a>

Check it often. Send E- letters it costs nothing
    If you can Vote for this site. You can help keep our trails and lands open.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins

7. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Hello Everyone,
    Hope you are all well and happy. Been away for a little while so I haven't been able to keep up.

This subject is a touchy one. I think a key note to the whole thing is frivelous (&lt;---spelling) law suits people throw at the states for idiotic mistakes they make. Trip over a rock, break your arm and sue because there was not a sign there that said. Hey stupid, watch out for the rock The states are getting tighter and tighter budgets which has an effect on everyone. Kind of like a persons heart that is getting weak, after a short time it starts cutting the flow off to the extemities to keep the necessary things working (properly).

One of the things that has always griped me a bit is the fact that some people can not pick up after themselves. If you don't have any "spare" money laying around to donate to organizations that help our cause and need (4 wheelin') then next time you go out donate some effort. There are many people who already do this but many more who don't, they just sit and their butts and whine about it and complain to each other. Some people will spend 10 minutes griping about a pop can (or soda can, depends on where you're from) on a trail rather than take the two seconds it takes to bend over and pick it up. The eco-nazi's see this when they are taking a break and sitting on a rock drinking their purified water in a plastic container and eating their wheat-germ from a foil wrapper they hate so much.
    I work for the State of Colorado and I see budget cuts affect us everyday in most ways people take for granted.....Housing inmates..........There is a phenominal amount of money spent on these inmates everyday........We are facing budget cuts in the field of corrections that is causing the Staff shortage that we have, thus causing certain dangers that are invisable to most people. We have staff members working so much overtime they are falling asleep behind the wheel of their vehicles after a shift or two and dying in the accident or losing arms and legs. The wonderfull education that these inmates are getting with the staff shortage just got a female staff member (teacher) raped yesterday!!!! Just because the State doesn't have the money to hire enough officers.....

It all boils down to one thing....money. The eco-nazis have a heck of a fund to pick from. They have resources that have resources that have resources. We don't. The government will listen to them because they are all for saving money by cutting spending, such as maintaining state land from off roaders, hikers, and the like.

If we are going to save our hobby (or sport) then we have to be pro-active and do something about it. I am as guilty as most. It is a shame it has to get to the point where we are losing things to get our attention. It sure has gotten mine.

Maybe we should all think about getting together in our local areas we frequent and do nothing but a trail (or wilderness) maintnance day trip. (heck, we may even have some fun) Bring a bunch of trash bags and some pickup trucks to haul the appliances that some idiot has thrown out. (Probably spent 15 bucks in gas to take up there when he could have had it picked up at his house for 10.) I sincerely believe that if we show a concerted effort to help rather than try to fight the cause it would be much more effective. Let's utilize the resources we have and try to fix some of the stuff that needs fixing. It will be noticed. Publicity that we could get from hauling a load or two of trash out of the forest and off of the trails would be positive, that is what we need. We need to show we care. If we do that, then keep up with it, the eco-nazis might back off a bit.

If anything I said on this "rant" offended anyone I apologise in advance. It think it is a shame we all have to pay for others complacency. Especially when what we lose we can not get back.......

Have a great day,
    John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

8. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Since I never saw anything in the "Land Issues" forum I thought Steve had closed it....
    Get involved or lose it all!!!

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all!!

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Good points. Yeah they have money and that's why joining a organazation that has our interest is so important. The money goes to hire lobiests, Lawyers, get publications out etc. The other thing they have is OUR OWN APATHY AS A GROUP!. Most of the laws get passed because they get by us. They get by us because we don't pay attention to whats going on. We don't keep any eye out for bills that are going to effect us and we don't tell our reps what we want to counter what the GAGS want.
    We are easy to make look bad because we are disorganized. We get crap like this communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim>coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

10. Grim-Reaper

People are just not taking these land use issues serious enough. 4000 registered user and the Eco Nazi post that was sticky to keep it on top for a week and only gets 496 views. I know 10 of those were me. Sad. Do you folks not understand that if you do not start getting involved you not going to have anyplace to ride? All your trucks might as well be chromed up street queens.
    How many of you are doing anything?. Hell just join one of the Orgs such as United (Steve can sign you up), Blue Ribbon, Save the trails....AT LEAST JOIN ONE OF THESE! That way if your apathetic about calling and writing at lease your sending a few buck somewhere that it will get used to protect your right to have a place to ride.
    communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim>coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

11. Grim-Reaper

No I let the post off sticky. It was getting crowded up here. It was their for a week and the last 2-3 days only got about 10 more people to read it. That's what hacked me off enough to write this. I hate to say it and I'm as guilty as the next guy but people don't go and check out the land use forum as often as they should. When I run across important NATIONAL land use stuff that needs people to look at it I will make it sticky. ZAKK has been good about catching stuff and making posts and that's what it takes. The POR Borad is really on top of it and they seem to catch stuff early and they are good about making it known and the moderators are good about making it sticky. I hate that we can't keep things orderly and keep stuff in the frums that they belong but land use is so important that if I have to make it sticky in the big forum I will to get the message out.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

12. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

just for the record. the Eco-Nzai post that i put up had less views than the "Caddy Brake Problem" thread.

My area of confusion is where the hell are we gonna 'wheel once the eco-nazi's close in? We will really be a bunch of MALL RUNNING POSER 'WHEELERS WITH GOLD PLATED CURB FEELERS! (the funny part is that you think i am kidding[​IMG]) Yellow Sub does a good job keeping POR up to date, But how can land closure warning threads compete with caddy brake conversion threads? :rolleyes: sadly, i don't think it can...

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5
    World's Ugliest Lawn Ornament
    [​IMG] CK5's Moab 2002 or Bust!! [​IMG]

13. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> ............. And what would be so bad about coming to Wisconsin ????????? LOL ! Just kidding. Are you talking about Dresser when you said this ?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a small private plot you sign a wavier and pay like 40 bucks for a season pass which is about an hour south of the cities.

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> monkeys steal my underwear at night

14. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

I Agree these damn treehuggers are really pissing me off! Where I live we cant get a ROAD the hell outta town becasue of them! And well in general I just DONT AGREE WITH THEM!

1985 GMC JIMMY

15. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I generally try to speak out.... but if it's a call in number it's really hard sometimes to call in because it's busy constantly. But if you keep trying you can get through folks. Not to mention if you are at work all day like I am and they close their offices before you get home you can leave them a message about who you are, what you want and they will call you back. If you want to write in, most have emails. If you don't know what to say, ask around. Generally someone will be able to send you a basic letter to use. It doesn't matter if they get 1000 letters all the same, your name on it is what counts.... if neither of these work ask your local club. They will have petitions started usually you can sign. There's tons of ways to work for open trails.... even helping in clean up days. But if you don't care, then don't complain when your trails close. You better believe the Sierra Club and groups like them have tons fighting against us.... it's time we had all of us answering them back....

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    Stop Global Whining
    I'm in shape.... round is a shape......

16. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

Grim - some of us have seen this other places too...

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

17. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I agree with you, Grim...110%

Everyone needs to be involved...we can, as responsible wheelers, be a force to be reckoned with. If we put forth the same effort on land issues as we do with our trucks, think of the impact we can have!

Haze gray and underway...<font color=blue>or blue, in my case.</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/26246038MbQsYWKcbo>U.S.S. Nimitz II</a>

18. CaptCrunch

Riz
    That is a place called Bauer's pit. It is kinda out by southern Northfield and Faribult.

-Mikey

19. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Mikey, is there any way to go wheeling at Dresser ? I'd like to go there and wheel sometime but can never get ahold of one of the Gopher Wheelers ?

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> monkeys steal my underwear at night

20. Grim-Reaper

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!

Ok I have been paying attention to the normal course of the reading of posts. Due to lack of space I cannot leave posts sticky for long periods. It will get the fist page very cluttered and shortly spill over to the second page. Most posts seem to get heavy traffic for a few day's then it dwindles down. So what I think is best is after 5 days to move them to the land use forum.
    This will allow for most people to get a chance to read it. The exceptions will be if it's a very active post or a very major issue that will be comming to vote within a reasonable amount of time.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper