Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Previous owner idiot, distributor 180 off....Please help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GM Man, Mar 6, 2004.

1. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Well as the title says my distributor is off by 180 degrees. So now Im trying to fix and reroute the spark plug wires to there correct position, and I need your help. Could someone tell me where number 1 is on the distributor cap??

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

USUALLY its pointed at #1 cylinder, best way to tell, put the engine at tdc and see where the rotor is pointin.

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

If starting from scratch, number one can be anywhere on the distributer cap.

With the number one piston at TDC of the COMPRESSION stroke, note where the rotor is pointing and go from there, following the firing order around and routing the wires accordingly.

You bought a truck that ran like crap huh? Hope the deal was really good.... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the entire distributor ?

is the vacuum advance on drivers side or pass side ?

to set engien to #1 firing position, turn the engine by hand clockwise and with about half of a finger tip over #1 spark pluug hole feel for air being pushed out of the hole, now turn engine a little more slowly until timing mark on balancer is under the tab

now pull the distributor and get soemthing like a normal car tire iron to turn the top of the oil pump rod so that the slot in the top of the pump rod is inline with #1 engine cylinder at its location in the engine

now hold the distributor with the vacuum advance canister pointed to pass side of engine and make the rotor point at about #3 engine cylinder and drop the distrib straight down and maybe wiggle it and stuff to get it to fully seat down, if it wont then pull distrib back out alot of the way until you can turn distr rotor a little one way or the other but still keep it pointed near #3 cylinder, all until the distributor seats all way down

wen it does then set the clamp bolt tight enough only until you can still turn the entire distrib but we its not real easy to judst mske it so that it takes one handful of force to twist and move it

turn the entire thing counter clockwise a few degrees right now

make note of what tower ont he HEI cpa that the rotor is going to point at if you put the cap on right now, this will be your #1 spark plug wire tower

put the cap on now, do not turn the distrib at all again now until after all wires are run to cylinders.

#1 tower to # 1 spark plug that you pulled out earlier,

now go clockwise for next tower, it is the #8 tower, so run a wire form that tower to the #8 soark plug

next is 4, then 3, then 6 and then 5 and then 7 and finally 1

all done

stock intake manifolds show the cylinder number at end of each intake runner, aluminum and iron both., aluminum in the 50s and 60s and 80s 305's L84 and L69 etc. and also 77-79 or so years 2bbl 305 LB9 i think i forogt.

the above is how ot setup the ignition system in stock original factory form, but in real life you can use whatever tower ont he cap as #1 that the rotor is pointing at when the #1 cylnder ands valves are in firign order position, #6 will be in its firing position 180 degrees from there clockwise

5. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Wow thanks for all of the feedback guys. Lots of good info and now my dumbass learned something new. I basically have to start from scratch due to number 1 on the cap being where number 6 or 5 should be.

Thanks all! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    #1 tower to # 1 spark plug that you pulled out earlier,

now go clockwise for next tower, it is the #8 tower, so run a wire form that tower to the #8 soark plug

next is 4, then 3, then 6 and then 5 and then 7 and finally 2

[/ QUOTE ]
    fixed it for ya

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

It is possible to mix and match the above descriptions....

You may 'get away' with just changing the order on the distributer cap if the wires will reach.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif