Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Previous Owner Wreck Damage with pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieBlazer, Jan 6, 2003.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Althought I bought my truck as a reconditioned vehicle and all cosmetic aspects were fixed I still haev lasting underbody damage that concerns me sometimes so I snapped a few pics.

[​IMG]
    Thats the front passenger spring hanger, although hard to tell there is a bolt in the place of one of the rivets and two nuts locked against each other...about a 1/4" gap exist between the hanger and the rail
    [​IMG]
    another pic from the side
    [​IMG]
    my biggest concern as the passenger side noticeably sits an inch lower on the passengers side when looking dead on at the front on level ground
    [​IMG]
    another shot.....

Now just out of curiousity could the bent springs etc be a source of some bump steer and what not, also could it be affecting the overall ride in general....I plan on lifting teh truck soon, I have driven it like this fo over a year and so did the previous owners...everything seems to be okay, just trying to tap into deeper info out there on this board /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Looks like a kinked leaf and a bent shackle. Not really huge deals, it's nothing new leaf springs and an ORD shackle kit won't fix. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I don't think that the leaf would cause your bumpsteer, but it probably doesn't help. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif </font color>

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The shackles look like a lot of K5 shackles to me. It's more rare to find straight ones...

Rene

4. BowtieBlazer

a bit more comforting to hear... I actually thought about cutting and drilling some flat bar...maybe even cheat and net an inch up front

5. BowtieBlazer

also while I am thinking about it...the pass side of the front bumper is tweaked up about 2" looking at the bumper supports in the first two pics does it look doable to loosen those bolts and maybe just hvae the bumper level out and retighten them?
    [​IMG]
    Although slightly exagerated by the flex it does ride up close to that high

6. tRustyK5

I replaced mine with 3/8" x 2.5" bar stock and added 1/2" between the holes. Much better but they still lean slightly. Then again my Jimmy has been rolled by a previous owner and got hit real hard almost 2 years ago so it might not be the best truck to use for comparison.../forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene

7. tRustyK5

You should be able to staighten out that bumper like you described. The holes have a lot of slop in them.

Rene

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

As long as your bracket for the bumper isn't bent too, it shouldn't be too hard...if oyu have access to a torch, then it is a very easy job, just heat up the bracket and loosen bolts, bend bumper back down

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've replaced a few rivits with bolts. I think thats ok. the rest looks replacable.