Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Price estimate?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChvyWakeBrdr0405, Nov 14, 2002.

1. ChvyWakeBrdr0405

ChvyWakeBrdr0405 Registered Member

just lookin at a few blazers on autotrader for my offroad project (me and my dads) and i need to know a few general costs.

building a 383 out of a 350 (rebuild the stock one) how much is an AVERAGE price for a kinda standard built 383 and what kind of numbers will it make?
    what driveline parts am i gonna need to beef up for this?
    CV shafts? necessary on an 8" susp lift? how much?
    how long will the stock 1/2 ton t-case and tranny, axles hold up to say 37-38" tires?
    should i go with do it yourself bedliner or have it done professionally
    ive been reading up about stuff for my 94 z71 that ive forgotten most of what i knew about K5's (a shame)

2. coolhandluke

coolhandluke 1/2 ton status

ok, I'm far from the expert, but let me warn you of a few things. A good "torquey" 383, with 38 inch tires is going to wreak havoc with the axles. Absolute death. not to mention the gear ratios in those things can be HORRID Move up to a 14ff rear, that way you at least get 4.10's, and find a matching 8 bolt front, unless you have money to blow, then go 1 ton all the way around.

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

you said half ton Tcase and tranny....... they dont make half ton tcases or tranny, per say. if your talking a lot of HP then go with Np 205 t case, 14ff rear, prefferably a d60 front, (that depends on how hard you plan on wheeling, a Th350 tranny will work fine, if you want more strength in the tranny then go th400, if you want a 4 speed go Sm465, It all depends on what you want to wheel, so we will need more info on that. If you plan on Trails and rocks then a 8 inch suspension will prolly not be the best choice, go with stock rear springs, a 4 inch shackle flip and 1 inch 0 rates, and 4 inch front springs with 1 inch 0 rates... then trim your fenders and slap some 39.5s under there. Reply with info on what your intentions are for this truck.

4. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

If you're looking for an "offroad project" then start looking for a K30. Throw any engine you want in it and leave the drivetrain alone.

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I agree with that. K30 already has all the driveline and stuff... but if you want to put lots of work into it. Get your blazer.. make sure its a 89-91 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Go for a 8inch lift... youll need legnthened driveshafts i believe. Trim your fenders, get a 14bolt 1ton rear end with some 4.88 gears... build yourself a good torqey 383, get some 38x14.50 TSL SX. And you'll be set.