Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

price for a d60

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FatBoyBlazer, Nov 12, 2003.

1. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

alright i need my truck first to do this but my manual tranny teachers got a d60 4.56 with a detriot rotor to rotor....1,200 bucks is that a good deal?

2. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

If its ready to bolt on doesnt need any work you canb bolt it to your truck and go then its a good deal Ihave totlay rebuilt mine know and have close to 1800 in it but that with 35 splinr stubs.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would tell him $800 and see what he says. Since it doesn't match your current gears, it's going to cost you some cash to make it work.

4. FatBoyBlazer

i wanted to go 4.56 any ways and then lower down the road...but first i need my truck to get it in and then a place to do it...apartments suck

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I think it comes down to a very simple "two-part" question:

"Is the gear ratio one that you want anyway, and do you REALLY want a Detroit up front?"

Detroits are bulletproof offroad, but I notice you're in Worcester, MA (Pronounced: Woooooostaah if I'm not mistaken /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) so hopefully this is NOT something you would intend to drive on the street to get you through the snow, etc? That could be ugly.....

Basically, if the axle has stuff you actually WANT, it's a good deal (GREAT deal if you ask me!)....but if you are going to re-gear to 5.13's and slap in an ARB anyway, you can probably find a cheaper starting point than a $1200 axle.

$1000 D60's are about the norm from what I've seen. Good deals seem to be in the $800 range, and ho-hum deals are in the $1200 range (open diff, 4.10s)

You will always have to endure the story of the guy who got a D60 for $300, and it already had a locker in it. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Just be realistic about what it's going to cost to make it complete. I personally know a LOT more guys who have $2500 - $3000 into a "fresh" D60 rebuild. Each part adds up (quickly)....and it can really take the fun out of the swap if you have already conviced yourself that you'll be done spending at the 1200-dollar mark.

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. FatBoyBlazer

[ QUOTE ]
    Pronounced: Woooooostaah if I'm not mistaken )

[/ QUOTE ] you got it so didn't dan and tyler /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif...its not going to be my daily..ive got the acura for that /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif.....i might stick it out with the 10bolt and 35's with the 4.10s till i graduate UTI amd then do axles..i might try to get a drop in locker for now the 14ff is already welded /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif...i can see the 5.13s in the future /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What would be wrong about driving a detroited '60 front in the snow with one hub locked? That's what I intend on doing.

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'd like to know this answer too....I think i'll start a new thread, yeah just cause i can. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What would be wrong about driving a detroited '60 front in the snow with one hub locked?

[/ QUOTE ]

It'll pull like mad. Co-workers bog jeep will do an instant 90* turn when he breaks only on u-joint or lockout in the mud. Has hit the gaurd rail more than once.