Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Price for paint Job

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by personaltrainer, Feb 6, 2005.

1. personaltrainer

personaltrainer 1/2 ton status

know you can spend as much as you want but I'm wondering what a "decent" job would run.

By "decent" I mean.....

One color, No drips, at least one coat of clear, door jambs also painted.

Those are about my only requ. I've been thinking of getting it painted for a while now and I might be about ready to get this thing done. I plan on having the bodu work done be for i take it to the paint place.

Not sure if that is enough info or not. Thanks in advance

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

This is a loaded question. Is this for a trail rig? DD? Why two stage?

3. personaltrainer

Not sure it's "loaded" but maybe just not enough info.

It's for my DD.
    Not sure why 2 stage. - maybe you could tell me why or why not.
    Hope this helps. Any info would be great. Thanks

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

2 stage will be more money. you really only need to consider it if you want a metallic. single stage is fine for solid colors... not quite as durable to oxidation as a clear job is, but a quality paint will hold up fine...

paint can run you anywhere from $300 to 7, $800 depending on what you want.. my Chevelles blue pearl/clear was about $700 in materials, our cost, about 12 yrs ago..

for a fully prepped vehicle, you could pay anywhere from 500 for a Macco, to 2000 in labor.. for perspective, when i would do paint work on the side, i would generally charge $1000 or so, + the material... thats for sidework, not thru the shop..

Maaco is cheap, but i would suggest if your gonna use em that you bring your own quality materials. my suggestion would be to find a local bodyshop with a good rep and check on labor to just paint it...

5. personaltrainer

OKay. sounds like a plan. It has some body work as well so I'll need to have that at least looked at and probley repaired. I think that for $1500 - $2000 I should be able to get the bodywork done and the thing painted with a pretty nice job. - we'll see how those numbers hold up once i start asking around.

6. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Get everything in writing!!!!!!!! Let them know if they find anything they need to give you a bid on fixing that if it will increase the price by a certain amount maybe $100.00. You don't want a nasty suprise at bill time when you are looking at a shiny vehicle.

Definately don't go for the you pay for materials and I will bill for time approach. Ask me how I know!!:frown1: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Another route is to check with local vocational training centers or community colleges and even some high schools still offer auto shop and will paint your vehicle at a reduced cost.

Good Luck

7. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

When I was looking for paint and a little body work, I was getting $2200-2900 estimates at the local shops. Anything above the macco or earl shieb special, and your in the $2000 range easy, and that was just for my bare tub, nothing, absolutly nothing installed in/on it, so a lot less prep work. They were all getting about $900-$1000 for materials and the rest was labor. My materials were more because I was to have the inside done as well. The labor shouldn't have been too big a deal, the whole truck is fiberglass and had a nice gel-coat already, really just needed a couple gouges filled, and the whole thing fine-sanded.
    That's when I said screw this, and took the thing to the line-x shop.

I had a vehicle painted by maaco years ago (late-eighties), avoid them like the plague. If they don't like your car, they will give it to the new 16 year-old to paint for training. That p/u had overspray on the tire/wheels, runs galore, and fists full of sandblasting sand still in the bed, painted over. So much for the "entire truck chemical clean". On the roof I could see the arc spray marks, looks like they just reached up with thier hand and pulled the trigger on the spray gun. They said the runs were'nt runs and it was my body work. Noooooo, and beside that the $700 job I was getting was supposed to include and entire truck sand for any such spots. They rolled that thing in the booth, sprayed it, and rolled it out. Losers. When I asked why the job looked like s***, the manager said "well, what did you expect for $700 on a full-size truck". I asked for my $ back, and he refused. I ended up getting my money back, buy only after sitting the the bed of the truck for a saturday afternoon in front of thier shop with a big sign saying "this is the macco $700 paint job", then the manager came out and finally gave me my $ back.

8. personaltrainer

Yeah. I figured about 2-3K for anything decent. It's just so much money for an old beat up truck - but it IS bright yellow as it sits in the driveway.......

I'll get the bodywork done, then look for somewhere to paint it. i went to "peach" - like macco sort of. They said they'd paint it for $1200 and it would look just like factory paint - whatever. I asked to look at a car that had that paint job on it and they showed me the next cheapest one - it looked like crap.

Maybe i'll have to get used to the idea of yellow? Maybe I'll just paint the roof a different color with rattle cans, and maybe the rockers too. I guess I'd do Black? or white?

9. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I got a price from a local shop here. One of the top two shops in town. He told me that if I removed the bumpers, and trim he would completely strip the truck and paint it for $1700, and the paint would have a lifetime guarantee as long as I own the truck. If it so much as chips I can take it back and they will repaint for free. When my wife had a wreck about a year ago this shop repaired her car. They do excellent work and have a very good reputation in this area. The only drawback is that they make their money doing insurance work and b/c insurance companies are usually paying for rental cars they put pressure on them to get the cars done ASAP. So, basically they would have to work me in b/t the insurance jobs, meaning I could be in for a couple months. My truck is a second vehicle so that's fine with me. I am not ready to paint yet but when I am I will probably go with this shop.

10. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

If you are anywhere near Mobile. AL, take it to Thompson's in Saraland.

They are the best in Mobile, period.

11. personaltrainer

found guy can paint my truck - he said he could do it for $700-$5K just depended on what i wanted to spend in paint and prep. I'm thinking I could get it done for around $1500 if I showed up with all of the trim/bumpers off etc. I'll check back here for typical prices on paint so I can tell if i'm being taken for a ride. thanks

12. toddol1971

toddol1971 Registered Member

anyone know of a painter in Illinois thats any good?