Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

price for regear

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76K5, Jan 14, 2002.

1. 76K5

76K5 Registered Member

What is the average price of labor for getting my dana 44 regeared from 3.07 to 4.10? If I buy the gears will I also need to buy an install kit and what do they usually run? Thanks for the help.

If in doubt, gun it.

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

My rear 10 bolt cost $377.86 at 4WPW to regear. Since it's a front axle, it'll cost a little more. I'd say, about $400. If there's no carrier change you could probably do it yourself. Just reuse the shims that are on the carrier already.

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

3. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

if i regeard the rear, would i HAVE to regear the front to still be able to have 4wd?

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

It really depends on the gear ratio you're changing to. If you change the rear to a 3.90 ratio and the front is still 3.73, than you could run it, but it's not really recommended. When you do a gear change, you have to have the same ratios in the front and rear or it will bind up your drivetrain and destroy your T-case.

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Yes, they have to be the same. Don't run any bigger of a spread than something like 4.10 in the front and 4.11 in the rear. If you don't have all the money at once, do the back first and then take the front driveshaft off until you do the front.

Don't regear a rear 10-bolt if you can avoid it. Put the money instead into a 14B. Have nice 6-lug wheels? Get a 14BSF with 6-lug or convert one like I did. Or just buy another 10-bolt with the ratio you want. You can usually find them down to 4.10

<font color=green>Today's Forecast: Partly cloudy with a chance of mud</font color=green>

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

A gear ratio difference of 1% or less is usally acceptable. Up to 2% could be okay if only used when traction is "understanding" allowing some slippage. 3.73 and 3.90 is nearly 5% difference and would be WAY too much. You usually find stuff like 4.10 and 4.11 together. That is less than 1/2% difference.

You also cannot simply reuse your old shims if you keep your original carrier. While this may work and is a good guidleine to start from, you still should check the backlash. Different gears are different sizes. They will most likely mesh differently from one size to another.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Install kits can run you anywhere form about $35 to around $90. But, there are big differences in quality and parts included. I got mine from <a target="_blank" href=http://www.ring-pinion.com>Randy's Ring &amp; Pinion</a>. I would highly recommend them. It came with Timken bearings and races, marking compound, cruch sleeve, pinion seal and nut, and plenty of carrier and pinion shims. The front one came with inner axle seals as well. If you are having someone do the install for you, you could ask them what all parts they would recommend in the install kit and go from there. Many of the cheaper ones don't have all the shims or seals. If your installer already has this stuff and doesn't need you to supply them, you could save a few bucks. But I would HIGHLY recommend Randy's for your gears and any other items. I have been quite pleased with my 4.56s and Detroits (f/r) from them.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Before doing my gear change myself I looked into shop prices.
    My yellow pages and a few calls later I found a WIDE range of prices.
    one shop wanted 500 just for the front and 250 rear.
    the best quote I got was 500 front and rear, I provide all the parts &amp; seals...
    So I spent 200 on tools and 4weeks later I did it myself and so far so good[​IMG]

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4</a>

9. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I did the same thing. Found prices from $250/rear, $300/front to as much as $700 per axle! I spent about $200 on tools as well, did a crap load of research on here and Randy's, and did it myself. I have about 2,000 miles on them and no problems. As a matter of fact, I took mine apart and re-did then twice just to help validate the cost of the tools! I also figured I could screw up and destroy three sets of gears before I equalled the cost of paying someone for the installation. And now I know what they are all about. May come in real handy on the trail some day. (But man I hope not!)

Brian