Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Price for used 350 Vortec Motor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChevyHuny, Dec 16, 2002.

1. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Hello, I was wondering if I could get some advice on something I will be selling in my local paper. I am having transmission problems with my truck and it is possible it will need a rebuild which is so expensive I do not even want to think about it. So I need to sell an engine I have around that I do not need.

It is a 350 vortec engine. I originaly bought it becuase I thought I had to replace mine when I bought my truck from an auto auction. I got a very good deal on the engine as I had purchased many other things from her at the same time. Fortunatly I didnt have to use the engine only the intake manifold. (It was a nice suprise /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) So I have the engine and the lower part of the 2 piece intake manifold. I bought the motor from a really good wrecking yard.
    [​IMG]

The engine came out of a 96 or 97 pickup. I will have to double check which one of the two years. I beleive the engine had a little over 100k miles on it. Obiously I have taken the intake off and replaced it with the lower peice off of my truck AFTER this pic. I also pulled off some pullys but they are with the engine. I used this engine as something I could look at to put mine back together too. So I removed some things to see where other things went behind them but it is mostly together. I do not plan on shipping it anywhere just putting it in my local paper and whoever buys it will have to come get it.

I have never sold a part as big as this besides a car. Or a part that is worth a lot. Do you think I could get 800 out of it? Should I part it or sell it whole? What is the best way to insure I do not sell it and then whoever buys it gets upset about something and wants money back. I plan on taking a million pictures of it and I will do my best to give all information that I know. I will write down every detail about it. The last thing I want to do is rip someone off. I have heard horror stories though of people selling an item like an engine and I do not want that to happen to me. So any help will be greatly appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

To me a motor is not worth much unless I can hear it run. Buying from a wrecking yard I dont worry about that as much because they typically check the item out ahead of time and give a warranty (30,60 or 90 days...) although I would still prefer hearing it run first.

So as a general guide I would suggest calling the wrecking yards and see what they are asking for a similar motor in your area (pretend to be looking for one). Ask how much they sell them for even if they dont have one in stock. Take mileage into consideration when asking for prices.

Then undercut them by 20-30% for your asking price. To cover yourself when selling it make up a bill of sale with the buyer (both of you sign it) that clearly states "used parts sold as-is with no warranty". Then keep a copy of the bill of sale for yourself.

3. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Thank you Kenny. I have taken a roll of pictures of it and I will start doing some calling around like you have suggested. I think your percentage cut is a great idea. The bill of sale with the "as is" is great too and will make me feel less worried. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif