Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Price of a used NP208 transfer case??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by XHitman396, Nov 6, 2005.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

well to sum it up, mine broke, any ideas on how much a used one costs?? just looking for ballpark, or if you have one for sale, id appreciate some info on it as well.. thanks

btw, it's for an 87 K5 with a 700r4

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Might want to post this in the "Truck parts : Wanted" area

3. gauder

gauder Banned

Well, I just got a 241 for $200. Probably around the same price.

4. gauder

gauder Banned

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

too bad..

I saw several NP208's today at a swap meet in CT..there were 3 or 4 TH350/700r4 style,and I saw one that was the 32 spline input TH400/sm465 style,like the one I bought last year for 30 bucks!--in fact,it was the same guy who had 2 of them that I got mine from last year..prices were a bit higher this year,he was asking 65 bucks or best offer for them..still cheap,and I bet he'd have taken 50 each..

A junkyard NP208 around here usually goes for 150-200 bucks with a 30 day gaurantee..at the swap meet,you buy it--you own it,and if there are any problems,even if you do happen to see whoever sold it to you again,you probably wont get anything but a "it worked fine when I pulled it" statement from them..but the prices are much cheaper,and I've had zero problems with stuff I've bought there..most guys are just there to clean out their garages,and if something does have an issue,it's labelled as "parts only" or "needs tlc"..most sellers aren't out to cheat anyone..

I was tempted to buy that TH400 style NP208,in case the one I got last year does not pan out--but so far the one that came in my truck is still working--just stuck in 4wd!..hopefully I'll never need the "spare".. :rolleyes:

Another guy had an older 10 spline SM465 with a NP 205 case,bellhousing,flywheel,and clutch for 50 bucks for all as I was leaving! :( --

I didn't even have 50 bucks to spend by the time I got there..wanted to buy an arc welder for 50 I saw there too..the guy selling that lives only 2 towns away,so I got his phone number--if my 400 small block and compressor I have for sale sells this week,I'm hoping he still has the welder for sale..got to get one by winter..hate having to borrow one if my plow needs to be welded up.. :mad:

6. XHitman396

well i guess i also left out a good question or three.. do i have to have one that came from a 700r4? are there certain years i gotta look for? are there different styles and models i gotta look out for, too? thanks.. and i guess i may have to start attending these swap meet things, diesel...

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I have one in my back yard right now that I'd like to get a couple bucks for... :thinking:
    It's from an 83 with a 700r4, adapter still attached. I don't know the spline count, but it should be the same as almost any other 700r4.

Uhhh, crating and shipping it from NY to OK wouldn't be much fun, though...

IMG_4646.jpg

8. XHitman396

yeah i think NY to Ok would be nothing short of an arm or a leg, but i appreciate the offer. thanks for everyone's responses...

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

The 208 you need has 27 splines.................................

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

And what is this doing in the Lounge????????????????? :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

This is the most (truck) tech I've checked out in months...

12. XHitman396

it's in the lounge cuz i was looking through here when i figured i'd post, and i really didnt feel like going into the garage at the moment i guess..

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Please find the nearest brick wall and bang your head until forgiven.......................... :D

Did ya find one yet??????????

14. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've shipped 208s through ups for around $50. Most 208s with adaptors go from $100 to $200 depending on how bad you need one.