Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Price of Steel....holy batbills

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by uglychevyZZ4, May 1, 2004.

1. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

Went and called a contractor for a quote on a chain-link fence to replace the existing pos that borders the yard at the house we just bought and when he gave me the price i almost passed out, was quoted 1500.00 for a 60 foot section, he said steel has gone up over 200% since January. Is this all over the country?

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yep, blame the Asians...they're building so much stuff right now that they're buying up all the steel....

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yep, blame the Asians...they're building so much stuff right now that they're buying up all the steel....

[/ QUOTE ]

The Asians? Are you sure we shouldnt blame Bush for this too? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Yes steel has gone through the roof!

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

That's what I've heard. I couldnt remember if it was the Japs or the Chinese though.

5. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I'm in the plumbing & heating industry and even waterheater prices are changing/ going up every week. It makes it almost impossible to bid jobs. From what I understand, it's because of all the steel needed for the war and the rebuild of Irac. It sucks but it is something everyone should know about if they are planning any projects with steel anything.

6. uglychevyZZ4

[ QUOTE ]
    Are you sure we shouldnt blame Bush for this too? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    lol, I'll just leave that one alone, but I do concurr /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif so I guess I'll be putting the fence in myself, DANGIT /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifthat sounds like work that could detour me from being in the garage /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yep I'm glad I bought my tubing for cage and all months ago. Steel has been going up without an end in sight. I blame Reagan. Bethelehem Steel is about 30 minutes from me. Someday I will take a drive up there with my camcorder and drive along the plant line. You can drive for miles along it and see nothing but a crow out there.

8. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I just did a job at work with 3/4" Stainless Steel tubing. When we bid the job in December, the compression fittings were around $7.00/each. By the time we were approved for the job, the fittings went up to $35.00/each /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif. The tubing went up about the same (5X), so, needless to say, we lost our ass on the job /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif.

9. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That's what I've heard. I couldnt remember if it was the Japs or the Chinese though.

[/ QUOTE ]
    It's the Chinese.

10. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

consider a wood fence?
    looks better and probably cheaper

11. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I blame Reagan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im shocked! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

The steel markets are going to open up. I heard something awhile back about Bushy boy letting in foriegn steel (IE the steel you use to buy use to be US steel). After signing a foreign trade bill its was going to allow for more importation without the taxes (or someting along those lines). SO, china is buying all the ore and building steel factories. I would say in 2 years time they will be up and running and the steel market will start dropping, a little, as foreign steel floods the market. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif If they do like the gas folks they will drive the price up then import it at that price then all of our fab $$$$ will get going overseas; and probley be cheaper quality steel.

(This is what I have heard, tv, radio, wheather or not its true or will happen /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif)

I do know the 1.5" 3/16" angle that I bought 14' of two months ago I paid the same amout for 8' a month ago /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I blame Reagan.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

14. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Steel has been going up without an end in sight. I blame Reagan. Bethelehem Steel is about 30 minutes from me. Someday I will take a drive up there with my camcorder and drive along the plant line. You can drive for miles along it and see nothing but a crow out there.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Bethelehem sunk Their own ship /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif They ran a shoddy outfit and steel companys like Oregon Steel simply out did them.

15. uglychevyZZ4

[ QUOTE ]
    consider a wood fence?
    looks better and probably cheaper

[/ QUOTE ]
    it has 75% steel now, the 25% wood, the wood is nasty looking, the steel looks much cleaner, and of course its what the Mrs. wants /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just bought the materials to do a 50' section and it cost about $175.00. It really doesn't take that long to do just suck it up and get er' done.

17. uglychevyZZ4

I wish, we priced out 74' yesterday and at the local hardware it came out to like 400.00, doing its easy, its the $$ thats getting to be alot /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    The steel markets are going to open up. I heard something awhile back about Bushy boy letting in foriegn steel (IE the steel you use to buy use to be US steel).

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif That happened 30 years ago. You have not been buying US manufactured steel since the late 70's to early 80's. Remember all the Pittsburg steel foundarys closing?