Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Price on a th400 and 205, what do ya think?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5er4Life, Sep 23, 2004.

1. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I know these kind of posts get kind of irratating but I really dont feel like over paying for these freakin things. I know a guy that wants to sell me a fresh never installed th-400 rebuilt by jet (heavy duty parts) and a np205 also brand new, he went threw everything and is a s good as new. It has a 32 spline input on it, and should be ready to go to bolt a klune v right in between them. Anywho he wants 1500 for both together, bascially 800 for the trans and 700 for the 205. Would do you guys think? But the kicker is he sets up gears and would be willing to teach me how to install my gears in my 14 bolt at the expense of me buying the gears also. Hes a really nice guy who I just met and he even said he would be willing to lend me a hand with the install of those parts. It sounds like it wouldnt be too bad but I just dont want to get ripped off and thanks for everyones input.

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That seems high. A rebuild kit for a 205 cost less than 200.00

3. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

thats what I thought too but nobody in my area seems to be selling a 205 for less than 400-450 range, and by the time I buy the rebuild kit Im right there with his price. I dont know if it just my area but everything in SoCal always seem so much more expensive. Geez, why cant people just give there stuff away /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Keeps checking or check out the SoCal Big Dawgs website for sale section

5. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

I have about $700 into my 400/205 and I got the tranny/tcase for free. I rebuilt both myself so there is no labor, except for boring the tcase for the larger bearing. I got a rebuild kit for the tranny, the tcase, 32 spline input, adapter, 32 element sprag and matching drum. You can avoid boring the case if you go with a different input bearing, the part number is in a post around here someplace, I think within the last two weeks. Of course my tranny is not a K case.
    Brett

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I saw a few TH400/205 setups and SM465/205 combo's in the want ad book last night for between 200-500 bucks for a used setup(with no warranty most likely)also saw a 205 for a TH350 for 75 bucks! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif--bet that one is sold already.. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

It's not a killer deal, but it depends on what you want. Sure you could find used stuff in the $300-500 range, but then it will also need rebuilt. Last time I saw a figure on a new/rebuilt 205 from Boyce, it was about $895. But then again, their prices are usually high... The price on the tranny doesn't sound too bad... Call Summit or a place that sells Jet trannies and see what they go for.

8. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

well I talked to Jet and they get $1495 for there trannies, and apparently they build them only one way and thats freakin heavy duty so I think the tranny is a good deal but I am still in the air on the 205. The thing is it already has a female 32 spline input shaft and the adapter to go with it, I pretty much wouldnt need anything to bolt a klune v in between them. How much would machining the case to fit the larger bearing cost? Because if it cost 300 for the case and 200 for the rebuild kit thats 500 plus another, what say, 75 for the machining I am started to get close to what he wants for it. I know this guy does good work on his stuff too, he is extremely anal when it comes to making everything perfect and correct. May not be too bad of a deal if he will teach me to gear my 14 bolt full-floater and dana 60 for me. Thanks for the input guys, as always a wealth of information is to be found here! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i bought my 400/205 for $500 but its a slip yolk version

10. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

try ebay /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Hmm...since its rebuilt and everything, I would think it should be worth it. Still try and talk him down, though.

I feel for you guys in SoCal...I got a NP205 from behind a 465 (10 spline) for $20, and then scored another one for free (even came with the 465, adapter, and sleeve, out of a low low mile '80 K20. it's a slip yoke, which is bad, but it has the 30 spline front output). Finding the 32 spline stuff is hard, though.

12. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

Since it is already a combo, you don't have to worry about boring the tcase, it already has the large bearing. Mine was a 10 spline version. You should be able to bolt it in and go. I don't know anything about the Klune, but why not go with a 203 doubler? Is it a cost thing or different ratios?
    Brett

13. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    thats what I thought too but nobody in my area seems to be selling a 205 for less than 400-450 range, and by the time I buy the rebuild kit Im right there with his price. I dont know if it just my area but everything in SoCal always seem so much more expensive. Geez, why cant people just give there stuff away /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

They seem to go for a hefty bit around NH for the most part too (for new parts). I guess it's low interest?

I just wait for great deals. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

14. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't know anything about the Klune, but why not go with a 203 doubler? Is it a cost thing or different ratios?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt think I would be going with a 400 when I had my 700. I like the ratio in my 700/208 nevertheless, I have already a passanger side dana 60 and am half way through rebuilding it. If someone wants to trade for a ford hi pinion I dont think I could get a doubler in there right? Besides that the klune isnt that much more expensive when coupled with the setup from this guy that I am looking at, due to the lack of needed adapters from klune that can cost near 400 bucks. It also allows me to clock my case up higher in the frame. The klune will provide me with a 2.7 reduction overall, which is close to the doubler. the doubler is a great setup I just think for me and ease of setup the klune would be a good way to go. And the shifter is cable operated so can mount the shifter anywhere I want in the cab.

I definitely think Im going to try and talk the guy down some and see if he wont give in a tiny bit more. I am definitely going for the tranny, the 205 comes with the adapter that will allow me to put in a klune and he has the shifter and nice new little mounts for it too. I know thats not alot more but every little bit adds up to offset the cost.

15. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Basically you are buying trust. If the parts are as he says and this is what you want to run it seems like a great deal. If, however, he doesnt help you set up your gears and the tranny and TC arent new you are getting ripped off. Sounds like you trust the guy though.....does he have the paperwork from the Jet tranny and TC rebuild?

16. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

If it's what he says it is, buy now. Everybody has a story about getting their drivetrain given to them but if that guy isn't you, it doesn't count. A good price on that combo would be $1900, you're doing OK.

Do not use the conversion bearing, they don't have a good load rating and don't fit the adapters properly. The last guy's case we fixed because he used the cheap and easy input bearing cost him $400 plus a Moab trip.