Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

price on caddy 500

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by HillJackCustoms, Oct 11, 2006.

1. HillJackCustoms

HillJackCustoms Registered Member

is 700 bucks a good buy for a caddy 500?? it ran when it was pulled

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

that seems like a little much, these engines tend to be pretty cheap normaly, i sold a 472 that was liek brand new for only 200

3. HillJackCustoms

icic should i check junk yards for the motor?? Im not gonna find one around here for sale... what should be an average price for one??

4. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

I've seen a pair of fairly nice 500 eldorados go for $400 total.

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I got a 500 with what is supposedly a bad coil and the matching, working TH400 for $200 total.

Haven't tried to get the motor running yet but I'd say $700 for a motor alone is pretty high.

6. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

bought a '75 eldo & a '70 coupe deville for $700. took the '75 500 & the heads from the '70 472 (they are the 950 "no smog" ones). then sold the 2 cars & the 472 w/ the late model 500 heads for $750 + a BOP t-400 core

7. HillJackCustoms

aight well thanks everyone... im gonna talk the guy down in price... it is a salvage yard that has it... if he won't go any lower... im not buying it... so around 500 or less for a whole car i should be looking for??

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

here they get...

Junkyards here get a dollar per cubic inch on most V8's--so you can expect to pay at least that for a good running Caddy 500..they are not as plentiful as people lead you to believe anymore,at least not here!...here,big block chevy motors sell for at least a grand,even high milage ones that run,but need rebuilding!--IF you could even locate one!..

That is why the Caddy motors started gaining popularity--it used to be you had a hard time finding ANY big block chevy motor--now the scales are tipping the other way..many newer style 454's are starting to show up in the junkyards from the 90's trucks now,and about every Caddy has been bought up and they are getting scarce here now..the newer 454's are not as popular with the hot rodders with older vehicles though--swapping in the TBI,and other changes made to the blocks prevent some from using them..

I have a 1976 Caddy 500 and TH400 in my shed..its been sitting for about 8 years,I was going to use it,but now it will likely need to be rebuilt--it was from a Coupe Deville,and ran ok,but had over 100,000 miles..It turns over freely,but I would probably not use it in its current state..I'm only keeping it in case I blow my 6.2 up.or I might just sell it,or trade it to a junkyard guy I know, for another diesel motor, if mine craps out..

If you get a whole car,the Eldorado has the rear sump oil pan you'll need to swap the 500 into a GM truck--be aware they are a bitch to pull the motor out of though!--if you can do it without cracking the bell housing,you will be lucky--we pulled dozens at the junkyard,and only about 5 came out with no bellhousing damage..but you CAN sell the transaxle for good $$$ on E-bay,as many owners are having difficulty finding a rebuildable core with no bell housing damage..We started cutting the CARS up to pull the motors,since few of the bodies were much good anyway,to prevent losing $$$ by ruining the trannys..:crazy:

9. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i got my car for 425 i think, with the engine from ebay

10. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

I bought a 76 CDV with 53,XXX miles running for $300. And 5 other engines that ran for $125.each....I got caddy motors
    George