Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Price quote. Is it good?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by google, Jun 13, 2005.

1. google

google 1/2 ton status

Ok, i'm here in AZ. A junk yard will give me a powersteering box and steering column for $200.

14 bolt rear for $350

Leaf springs from a suburban for $75 a pair. (will they fit my blazer?

Tailgate with window for $200.

This was my first trip to the junk yard. How are these prices?

2. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

Hi, those prices seem pretty high. where are you looking? If you dont mind pulling the parts you can get them much cheaper at ecology or pick a part. you can get rear ends for aorund $100-150 and less on half price days, steering boxes are around $50 and pumps you can buy rebuilt for arounf the same $50 with a core. If you are looking for stock springs I have a set that came off of a blazer, you can have them for free. I am located in mesa.

3. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

I was quoted $75 for a gear box..

i bought TWO 14 bolt full floaters for $75 bucks (for the pair)

don't know about the tailgate tho

4. google

google 1/2 ton status

ttt

I've only heared from one person. Would like a few more. And what about the price on the tail gate. I think the one they have doesn't roll up or down. how hard is that to fix?

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Prices vary by region and by condition. Pretty hard to say with authority, but I know what *I* will pay. :)

A 14FF rear should be around $100. Way too common (because they almost never break and came in so many vehicles) to be worth much more than that.

Leaf spring price isn't too bad, but they are likely sagged, in which case you'd need at least an add-a-leaf or zero rate to correct, which is more money. MAYBE $50.

I just bought a tailgate from a member for $75. Not cracked, tinted window. Perhaps a better deal than "normal", but still. If it doesn't work, worth a heck of a lot less than $200, maybe $50. (the sum of the parts is going to be a lot more though) You can take off the inspection cover to check. I'd assume in your area the innards aren't rusted out, that makes repair a bit easier.

You will almost always do better by purchasing from a private party. Look in your classifieds under domestic auto parts (what it's listed under here) plus all of the "thrifty nickel", "buy and sell", etc weeklys. Here, the buy and sell is the best one out there for parts. Free to advertise in, so TONS of vehicles being parted. There is likely a publication like that around you, just have to figure out which one it is.

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Those prices are way more than I'd ever pay. I tried to sell a 14 bolt FF and matching 10 bolt (8 lug) front for $200 and no body was even interested. I sold some springs and a 2 wheel drive steering box for $30 a peice.

7. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I got an 14ff with 4.10 and open carrier for $80
    keep looking and try to find out when they have 50% off day.

8. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Burbs' are very hard on their springs so I wouldn't bother. If you have a 4x4 shop near you that is a good place to find stock springs for next to nothing. I agree with $100 is about the most you should pay for a 14FF. I need a tailgate as well and have not done well finding one cheap but am not ready to pay $200 for one and wouldn't even consider it not fully functional.