Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Price range on fuel injecting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NightRider, Nov 22, 2003.

1. NightRider

NightRider 1/2 ton status

AB how much does it add up to fuel inject your engine. I have a 350

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

About $300 (for a screamin' deal on a used factory or aftermarket TBI setup) to many thousands of dollars for high end multi-port setups. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am in the process of Tuned Port Injection on my 350 and sofar I have probably around $600-800 invested. I also got a screaming deal on the system and all the major components that were in great shape. So my situation is kinda rare. You would probably have to spend more then what I have sofar to get TPI installed. But it is possible.

The easiest would be to buy a complete TPI motor if you are going to go with TPI.

Harley

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I am in the process of Tuned Port Injection on my 350 and sofar I have probably around $600-800 invested. I also got a screaming deal on the system and all the major components that were in great shape. So my situation is kinda rare. You would probably have to spend more then what I have sofar to get TPI installed. But it is possible.

The easiest would be to buy a complete TPI motor if you are going to go with TPI.

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]
    Wow, a local wrecking yard qouted me a complete TPI setup off a 98' vortec for 350 bucks.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Wow, a local wrecking yard qouted me a complete TPI setup off a 98' vortec for 350 bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. A vortec truck would not have TPI

2. It'd cost you a LOT of money to make an OBD II EFI system work on your truck.

www.customefis.com has a complete ready to go TBI setup for $850 for any rig.

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I thought TPI was what was on the 96' and newer vortecs? If that isn't what it is than WTF is it? Multiport??

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

When referring to TPI most people are referring to the individual runner systems used on Camaros and Firebirds....

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    When referring to TPI most people are referring to the individual runner systems used on Camaros and Firebirds....

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I'm not sure exactly what GM calls the newer setup, but when referring to TPI people are usually referring to the setup from the 3rd Gen Camaros.

9. Terminaltsi

Terminaltsi Registered Member

to be more specific, TPI is tuned port injection. TBI is throttle body injection. so what we are talking about here is TBI.
    yes, all newer trucks are SFI, sequential fuel inj.

10. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

I think the vortec is a central port injection

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I think the vortec is a central port injection

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever you call it, it'd be a total bitch to adapt to our application.

12. Hossbaby50

87GMCJimmy has done it. He swapped in a Vortec motor and trans to his K5 and it runs and drives. He is who I bought my TPI from. He had it installed on the previous motor before he installed the Vortec.

I got my system pretty complete from him. It had most everything needed and most of the parts were in great shape so I didn't need to buy a bunch of new parts. My kit also included a Painless wiring harness (which costs $300 by itself). The install doesn't look to be to terribly expensive, but it is the little things that add up.

fuel pump: $100
    throttle cable: $40
    TV cable : $30
    MPFI fuel line: $5 per foot
    saginaw to AN fuel fittings: $25
    manifold gaskets: $25
    valve cover gaskets: $10
    etc.

Things like wire, hose clamps, fuel filters, fuel line, electrical connectors, electrical tape, EGR valve, crankcase breathers, air filters, bolts, etc all add up really quickly.

TBI is the cheapest and easiest form of FI that you can install. After that it gets harder and more expensive as the system gets newer.

13. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Always do a careful calculation of the expenses you expect, then double that. That's always a much more reliable figure. It very much depends how you are converting:
    junkyard parts, partial systems; aftermarket suppliers; complete running donor truck, etc.

My opinion is that the absolute cheapest way to do it is to buy a complete running donor truck, take out the parts you need and get rid of the excess. I have done several swaps and it is the least expensive and least stress/headache by far. You can buy running wrecks either TBI or TPI for less than 1000. It will always cost you additional for stuff that needs to be replaced or "special". I wouldn't start a swap unless you have about that much money to sink into it and I would include the expense of buying the factory service manuals/wiring diagrams for your truck and the donor vehicle.

14. Hossbaby50

And the best advice I can add onto this is do your homework before you dive into a swap. Don't try the learn as you go method. It is alot more stress and is a PITA, trust me on this one. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Harley