Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

prices for my build up need your view

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pulser9, Jul 18, 2006.

1. pulser9

pulser9 Registered Member

Hel im going to be doing a SAC to a 94 chevy 1500 Im going to do a dana 40 or 60 front axle and i guess a 12 or 14 bolt rear. Im goint to run i guess 8 or 10 inches or lift with 38s. Which axles do you think i should use. Also i need to know what gears would be the best to use for mainly road use. And how much do you think it will cost me to build up each axle to be a quility axle. Also whats a good company to get springs from and how much lift do you thik i should run for 38s.

any help you guys can offer will be greatly apreciated.
    Thanks
    Kevin

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

$10,000. At least. If you already own the truck.

3. pulser9

im talking about the price to get or build up a dana 40 front axle and a 12 bolt rear axle.

4. pulser9

i dont know y i was saying dana 40 i ment 44

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Maybe you will get lucky and find some that already have the gears you are looking for.... That would save a good chunk of change!

I'd say 4.56's or 4.88's... What type of wheeling do you do?

6. cbbr

A 44 or 10 bolt should be fairly cheap, but if you are going to run 38's you might as well get a 60 IMO. A 60 and a 14bff should run around $2000 after you rebuild/replace what needs to be replaced.

7. pulser9

the truck is maily going to be used for road use but 2 or 3 times a month it will be used for like trail and mud pits nothing to hardcore. thats why i figured a 12 bolt rear and 44 front and because they will be alot cheaper i figure.

8. cbbr

That's how it always starts......;)

9. pulser9

and there much more easy to get your hands on. What trucks would i be looking to get thos axles out off.

10. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

For what you plan to do I would suggest a 14bff and dana44 combo, if your going to do it you'll find that a 14bff will not cost you a whole lot more than a 12b and it'll handle anything you can throw at it. Everyone will probably tell ya' to go the 14bff/d60 route which would be nice but for on road and the occassional mud (not nearly as hard on drivetrain compared to rocks) I know you'll be fine with the 14/44 combo.

As far as the swap goes it is pretty involved...

For starters you might want to go with a kit from ORU to help get you started...
    http://www.offroadunlimited.com/ProductCart/PC/viewCat_P.asp?idCategory=181

Next you will have to look into what you want to do to your axles. If you buy them already rebuilt/beefed up (whatever you choose) then your set. If not then plan on buying a kit to rebuild them and look into a set of gears and if your serious about the mud a locker in the rear would be one of the best upgrades you could do....

Randy's Ring and Pinion sells master install kits that include everything you would need to rebuild your axles w/ the correct gears. Clicky Clicky

Just choose the kit that has the new ring/pinion ratio you need for your new meats.
    GM 14b
    D44

As far as gearing goes a good calculator like the one on www.4lo.com will help you out with the choice. For example assuming you have your transfer case in high (1:1) and you have a 4l60 (?) you would have something like this...
    Tire Diameter: 38"
    Diff. Ratio: 4.88
    RPM: 1963.3
    Transmission Ratio: .7 <--in OD (4th gear) as and example
    Transfer Case Ratio: 1:1 <---in high it's 1:1
    MPH: 65

So if you went with something like 4.88's in your axles you would be able to keep the rpm's at a little over 2,000 (factored in real world friction) and still be able to run 65mph. Use the calculator though to figure out what you want to do, since it's mostly going to be street driven I would concentrate on that since you can keep it in a lower gear and put the transfer case in low when off road.
    www.4lo.com/calc/gearratio.htm

Now I haven't done any SAS yet but from what I know you would also have to keep the Transfer Case in mind. Where your current drop is and where the new one would need to be with the new axles (if the ring/pinion is off-centered or if it's centered, etc.) so do some research and you should be able to find what you need.

Keep High Angle Driveline in mind, he'll take care of you when it comes time to get the new axles cut.
    http://www.highangledriveline.com/

Ok, finally comes the rims and tires. Since you will be running mostly on road with the occassional off road blip through the mud something like boggers are out of the question. Something like a TSL Radial or TSL SX would suit your needs, relatively long life on road yet it'll get you through the goopey stuff. If you have the $$$ you will probably want to get a set of on road tires and a set of off road tires. Something like Trxus Mud Terrains for the street (you'll still have the size and agressive look but be able to run quitely down the road for many miles) and a set of boggers for off road. Search on here and you'll get a good idea of what each tire is good for.
    http://www.intercotire.com/site.php

Ok to wrap up this rediculously long post is the suspension. Now most of the guys on here are into the 4"-6" range because it allows you to fit basically whatever tires you want (mild to wild with the sawzall trimming) and it is the flexiest thing you'll ever see. For someone like me and what sounds like you I run a 9" Superlift (all spring, no blocks, don't ever go w/ blocks) and it suits my needs. Not exactly flexy but for mud/sand that doesn't matter and it allows me to run 38.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws with no problem.
    www.superlift.com

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.

-Avery

11. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

Avery, you have it all under control, seems like.
    well as for the lift thing, you have many choices,
    i think already stated a few.
    try
    www.offroaddesign.com
    tough country suspension
    hummm www.desertrat.com
    the list will follow
    and also i knew the 9 inch lift part would show up somewhere!!!!.lol just playin with ya avery.
    LUKE

12. Avery4jc

I figured what the heck, nobody seemed too interested to help him out so I just made a post to end all posts and took care of it. Wattcha mean the 9" lift part would show up somewhere? Is it because whenever there's a post that I can squeeze that into I do? Or because I know you guys like to keep em' low w/ 4-6's? ;)

-Avery

13. pulser9

hey thanks a ton. I guess it would be beter to go with the 14bff cus its beter then doing the 12 and not liking it. I actualy was looking at the tyruxs to use. I would realy like to use lockers but i think that will put me put of my price range. And im definetaly going to be using the kit from offroadunlimited because i realy dont trust my welding skills and also myself to fab somthing myself that is going to be holding my life in its hands at 65 on the highway. Also do you think i should get the dual shock bar for the front or should i just run a single shock all the way around. Also what shocks do you sugjest i was mainly looking into just runing single blistein 5150series shock all around. And I think im going to run 9 or ten inch lift.

14. Avery4jc

Do you really want to know what I think? Don't take this the wrong way but I think you need to do a good amount of research before diving into something like this. You'd be better off keeping that truck as it is and using it as a daily driver. Then get yourself a CUCV truck (if you don't know what it is search for it) that has a th400/205/14/60 and add a nice lift (already has descent gears and a locker in the rear sometimes in the front too) and some big boggers to keep as a toy. Not to sound harsh but I don't think your ready for something like that by the questions your asking, plus your talking about spending literally thousands and thousands of dollars (you'd be luck if you could do it for under $6,000) and then you don't want to get a locker because it'll put you out of your "budget".:screwy:
    I think you'd be better off with a smaller lift and smaller tires with a locker in the mud than a huge lift, big tires and no locker. Keep that in mind.

-Avery

15. pulser9

Hey yea i feel what your saying. But let me clear this up, This isnt my daily driver. I have a GMC sanoma for my daily driving. This truck is going to be my project that im going to be making into more of a show truck and im going to off road a little. My plan was to start with the suspension and get the solid axle swap done get rims and tires done, then i want to get the exterior like i want to shave all the emblems off and put a roll pan on do somthing with the front bumper maby a bull bar and then paint the whole truck gloss black, we have the paint and we already painted my bros mustange with it and it turned out realy nice. Also i want to do 20%tint and tinted lights. Then idk if im going to try and rebuild the engine with my uncle or buy a crate 350 later and a new transmision later. Then last move into the interior. So what im trying to say is this isnt my daily driver. And also i know its going to be very funds and time consuming but im willing to wait and do it over time and do it right.

16. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think the 14b ff and the D44 is good for you also a 10b front would be fine strength wise the front axles are identical (i.e. the 10 b to a D44) I ran 38s for a while on an open 10b front end. As far as lockers go most poeple I know who run welded diffs eventually go with a locker. Also if you are gonna make it a show truck and you want to win trophys then you would be better off rebuilding the axles by yourself so you can paint everything.

Avery you have too much time or you type really fast :D

17. Avery4jc

dude, how the hell am I supposed to help you if one minute it's a street driven truck that sometimes sees off road most of which is mud. Then the next minute you are wanting to build a show truck?

I don't have anything against show trucks but make up your mind. If you want to build an off road truck then stick around and let me know, the guys around here can help you out. If you want to shave the handles, tint the windows, install a roll pan, lift it sky high and paint it of all things gloss black which was used on a F*rd then you might as well be a freakin' Stupid Duty. If that's the case then you'll get MUCH more help somewhere like www.TruckAddicts.com I'm sure someone will tell me that I'm being harsh but I don't want you to waste your time here if that's what your after.

If that's the road you want to go down then just keep your IFS and solid rear axle and go with a lift from http://www.fullthrottlesuspension.com/ they make a sick system for IFS chevy's that'll get you in the nose bleed section. Then just swap the gears in the axles and put some big meats under it so you can move on to the cosmetics that make a show truck.

Oh, and blazinzuk I'm on summer vacation, I like to help where I can and I type really really fast.

-Avery

18. pulser9

all i was saying is that i am going to be making the truck to be presented in shows. I am not going to build a truck and not use it for offroading tho. im going to be using the truck for offroading like 3 times a month for day trips. But since i want to make the truck a show presentable truck im not going to take a roller and some house paint and paint it, I mwant the truck to look nice but im not going to be afraid to put it in a situation where it may get a little beat up.