Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Prices of used trucks...people are NUTS!..

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by diesel4me, Oct 24, 2006.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Wrote this whole post under the "Gentleman Jim" thread--and AOL froze up,and it didn't go thru (Mother F'ers!:mad: )...hate it when it does that,and it does it every day just about..anyway..

I stopped and looked at a 1985 GMC 4x4 with a plow the other day...it was covered in pine needles ,had a "for sale" sign on its drivers window..so I figured I'd take a peek--hoping maybe it was cheep,and I could buy it and spruce it up some and sell it for more...but it was pretty rotted,the rockers were hanging down and touching the ground--cab corners were all boogered on with globs of weld,and the undersides and frame were all barnacly..not something I'd want really..

The owner was raking leaves--said "it needs a tranny,its JUNK--I was plowing for 2 days straight right after I had it rebuilt--when I backed up,I saw a ton of ATF and metal parts in the snow!..now it wont move!"--I looked under it,it had a TH350,and it was broken in half!..then the guy says "I'd put a motor AND a tranny in it --the motor is noisy and smokes!"...gee,what a BARGAIN for "only" 1500 bucks!...:screwy: :screwy:

I would give 400 for it for parts at most!..It does have a working western plow setup and decent doors,new tires on aluminum rims too--but I think it was only a 1/2 ton,and had a flatbed,not a factory bed..not much left to work with really--I see better ones go in the crusher every day!..

I did score the original seat from it--the guy put custom power buckets in the truck,and left its bench seat in the woods behind the truck--I knew a guy who needs a seat,and he was glad to give it to me,said he'd only toss it anyway!...but I wish him lots of luck getting 1500 for a beaten rotted plow truck that needs a motor and tranny (and lord knows what else!)...if he gets 1500 for that truck,then my 82 K20 is worth 6 grand...:surepal:

I'm beginning to think I sold my C10 too cheap in a way--I got 900 for it,and the new owner said he looked all summer for a truck under 1000 bucks that he could actually DRIVE!..all he found were rotboxes,or they needed motor or tranny work!..mine was the first one he saw that was actually registered and being daily driven for the money!...

He did not try haggling me over the price,and didn't whine about a few minor things that gave trouble after the sale,like the power steering pump resivior developing a leak--he even gave me back the tires and mag wheels I had on it when I sold it!--he had 31x10.5-15's on a G10 van he was junking,and decided to run those for the winter instead,and plans on buying beefy snow tires soon anyway--he even helped me dispose of some old bias ply studded snows and rusty wheels to roll his van to the boneyard with!..not many guys like that left around here..I might have sold it a bit cheep,but at least he likes the truck,and has big plans for it..

But I can't belive what some folks think a truck that is JUNK and has to be TOWED home is worth!..I wished that guy lots of luck getting 1500,or even HALF of that!...but I had to look,I'm a sucker for an abandoned GM truck,especially if it has 4wd,and a plow!..I've had enough rotted ones though..no more for me..sometimes I stumble upon a diamond in the rough for cheep money--not this time!.:crazy:

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

The plow setup is worth at least $500 by itself. That's probably why he's expecting to get money.
    Sounds like the rest of the truck is worth the going scrap rate.

3. diesel4me

not really....

Here ,plow setups are not worth that much--I see many plows still attached to many trucks going to the junkyards--they figure it weighs enough to get more for scrap that way!...:doah: --but I was glad someone scrapped an 82 K5 with a 6.2 and a plow setup--I got all the pump,brackets,and joystick for my truck for 40 bucks!:D ..all my 82 K20 had when I bought it, was the lower push plates,which some moron home brewed,and welded right to onto the frame rails--but it works ok..

I sold the complete fisher plow setup(everything--plow pump,etc) off my 74 K20 in february--it was all I could do to get 300 bucks for it--had it advertised on craigslist for months,with only a few replies to my ad!..if its not a "minute mount" plow,no one here wants them,especially on a 20+ year old truck--most of them were junked long ago,and those in decent shape people often want to restore,not beat up plowing...

If the wheels and tires on that truck were worth 200,the doors another hundred,and the truck weighed 3 tons (330 bucks worth of scrap),then I'd say 500 bucks was not an outrageous asking price..this guy thinks its worth at least a grand!..the plow setup is beat to crap,the blade has seen better days,thats for sure!..this truck was used to plow for the city,and had the crap beaten out of it..

Yesterday I saw a similar truck with a plow at a scrapyard--the guy running the place said "500 and its yours!--no title though!:( --it was three times the truck the 1500 dollar one was--I could have driven it home!--but with no paperwork,its useless to me,and I'm not getting involved in swapping VIN tags and using a title I have from another truck I junked..I'll probably see more like it--many people here simply scrap an old truck,rather than try selling it..if its not a 1990 or newer,not many people here will buy anything..ticks me off seeing decent trucks getting scrapped,and not having a chance to buy it before they sell it to a scrapyard..:crazy:

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

You should bring your plows here. I've looked around, a decent used plow goes for at least $500. Working order, like not needing new anything for it to work reliably.
    If I saw a whole truck that worked for $500 with a plow, I'd take it. I'd like one just for my driveway. I've spent at least $100 on the rig I have now, it's a 6' wide, 2' tall ATV blade that I extended with a 1930 air tank pieces (they had the right curvature!) to 8' wide, and I welded it up to 2" reciever tube and I slide it in my front hitch. BUt I have no lift mechanism, but that works ok for my driveway.

5. diesel4me

too far!..

It would be nice to sell something for more than I could buy it for here elsewhere--but it would be impractical to bring a plow setup that far to make a few hundred--you'd be lucky to break even!..

My friend has a complete minute mount plow off a '98 Chevy 4x4 3/4 ton--has had it advertised in the local papers classifieds for 1000 bucks firm..about 50 people called and offered 800 cash--but he's firm on the price--its easily twice that usually,and its in excellent condition,looks like it was hardly used..
    everyone selling one is ASKING for 2 grand or more,but few are willing to PAY that for one,even when they know it will pay for itself rather quickly..

I've heard our state is planning to make those with plows on their trucks to have to get commercial plates and special insurance that costs well over a grand,even if your "Joe Homeowner" who plows only his own yard!..I can see it for those who plow for the city or state,but not those who have a plow for their own personal use only..I hope they dont pass that into law!..:( --bad enough we had to pay for commercial plates until they decided trucks under 5000 lbs GVW could use passenger plates,around 1990..--they now have "Snowplow" plates available,that are only good from october to april,and must be renewed yearly,rather than every 2 years like passenger plates..they'll probably make us use those plates if we have plows!--anything to screw more $$$ out of us ..:mad:

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i know what you mean bout people asking an arm and a leg for trucks. i bought my pretty clean 88 k5 for $3500 2years ago with 120k miles. granted it was very clean til i started wheeling it:doah:

i always see on here that people get amazing deals on trucks, and i always wish i would be fortunate enough to find one. well i finally did! im picking this truck up tonight! '86 k10 6.2/700r4/208 with 4" and 35's with alloys, new dual exhuast and a plow for $1100! i drove it and its pretty nice, especially for $1100. i was expecting it to be trash and was planning to use it as a donor for my 6.2 swap, but i think im going to keep this one whole.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

im really excited. usually a truck in this condition would be selling for $3-4k especially with a nice plow on it.

i guess it should be noted that i do go across county lines into an area that is known to be "redneck" compared to everywhere else around. its still a hell of a deal in my eyes.

7. diesel4me

That's more like it!..you SCORED!!...

That is a sweet looking truck there!...if you added an 8' stepside bed,and painted it maroon,it'd be a twin to my 82 K20!...THAT was a steal at that price,and yeah,I wouldn't chop that truck up!--not yet anyway!--looks to have lots of life and miles left in it still!...

I see trucks like that being scrapped every day just about around here--too bad the people junking them don't try selling them (or the ones I see in junkyards with the "for sale" sign still in the window weren't spotted by me,or another enthusiast before they were hauled off and cannibalized)..the condition some of the trucks are in is insane--many look better than the ones I'm driving,little or no rust,etc..90% of them are scrapped becuase they have "no title"...:( ..not much else wrong with them!..others need tranny's or motors,but had nice sheet metal,etc..

I bought my 82 VERY cheap--I won't say how much,because I might want to sell it someday...but lets say I paid about as much as its worth as scrap iron!..my friend buys lots of used cars from a friend of his who owns a GMC/Pontiac dealership,plus some other sources..he often has to take a few "clunkers" to get the "good deals"..

I bought my 82 K20 and the 79 C10 I had from him,and they were the best "buys" I've ever gotten on ANY of the trucks I had..my 82 needed a bit of work to get running,but I have never regretted buying it..I'm hoping I can find another truck like it before I'm broke again..I like having TWO 4x4 trucks,just in case one craps out,or I get it stuck and need to pull it out!..
    I miss my C10,but I don't really need a 2wd truck--I find a 4x4 much more desireable here in MA,and resale value is much higher on a 4x4..it was all I could do to get 900 for my C10,and its body was almost rust free--if it were 4wd, I could have asked 2 grand, and got it quickly!...:doah:

8. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

im planning on using as a dd and wheeling it some while i do my 6.2/4L80E/203/205 swap into my k5. it is a dog with the 3.08s and 35's, wish i hadnt gotten rid of the 10b's with 373s a while ago:doah: oh well. should be fun. plus we dont have a pickup so now we have a vehicle we can use for taking stuff to the dump or getting mulch etc.