Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pricing for engines.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Buzz, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Buzz

Buzz Registered Member

My parents are getting my engine rebuilt once school ends and I was wondering if the price quoted was competitive.
    The mechanic said it would cost around $1,800-2,000. I am not complaining as I don't have to pay for it, but I was reading on here about re-doing it yourself or getting a crate motor. I would prefer to get around 300-320 hp once completed and I am mechanicaly ignorant but I guess I could do it myself (or with the aid of more knowledgeble friends). And if I could cut the cost it would be great because then the extra money could go to my lift and tire upgrade(which they were gonna make me buy). So if any of you have suggestions on what I should do, and specificity is welcomed, please reply. Thanks in advance. Btw if I can save money by some of your posts on this site, I'll probably be asking pretty soon about suspension lifts parts and pricing, etc...

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

If your mechanically ignorant.. dont build and engine... a simply few thousandths can mean your back to no motor...

Get a crate motor..

i've seen nice 350's for 1500 bucks...

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Get a crate motor. If someone was ignorant in building it, then you have your warranty to cover it. I don't remember prices offhand, but I think the 330hp GM crate is $2100-2200 with warranty. 3yr/50K. Thats what I did. My mechanic installed it for about $500 I think. I don't know if the $1800-2000 is installed, or just rebuilt, if it is just rebuilt I say crate motor.

4. Buzz

Buzz Registered Member

The reason I said that about the doing it myself part is because I saw some posts saying that more than a few people have been led through a re-build. The $1,800-2,000 was including labor. Thanks for the replies thusfar.

5. Hossbaby50

If you are mechanically ignorant, then I wouldn't try a motor rebuild, unless you know someone who you can trust that has done them before succesfully. I have some mechanical skill, but am still relucktant to try a motor yet. I have two motors that I can try and rebuild, but $ are tight, so they have to wait. I especiallly wouldn't try a rebuild, if you NEED the truck to run, to get to work, school, etc. GM does have a cheaper crate motor available, but it only has 250 HP+/-. Still has the warranty though.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

That price sounds pretty fair if it includes he engine R&R and a warentee.
    If you dont know anything about engines it is best to let a qualified and reputable mechanic do the job.
    As for building an engine with over 300 hp it will cost you around 1800 dollars to do anyhow. And you really need to know what you are doing to build it right.
    You will also need headers, good exahust system, manifold, which could add more $$$$ to the price.
    You can get a GM crate engine for around $1400. But then you will need to get it installed and running. More $$$$$.

I would take the free engine that your parents want to get you. Talk to the mechanic maby he can put in a mild cam and bump up the compression a little, and still keep it in your price range.

7. angelglo

angelglo 1/2 ton status

listen to the replies above. if you really need this motor, have it rebuilt by a certified machanic. make sure there is a warranty. there are too many little tricks that you have to consider about rebuilding your own such as; putting on form-a-gasket instead of using the rubber gasket for the front and rear of the intake to motor for a better seal but never use both or the rubber gasket will slip out and you will always have a leak. plus if you are that ignorant about rebuilds, im sure you dont have specialty tool whcih can add up. some of them are micrometers, dial indicators, and such. some people can get away without using them and only using plestigauge but you will definetly need a torque wrench. anyway, i hope you make the right decision because it can get expensive.

oh, once you get your motor rebuilt, find a bare block or complete motor that someone is giving away and start from there.

8. Buzz

Buzz Registered Member

Ok. Thanks with all the help. I guess I will have to find some other way of having them help me out with the lift and tires;-)

9. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

If you are curious the GM goodwrench 250 hp crate motor runs about $1300, you still need an intake, carb, water pump, ect. I am happy with mine.

10. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

350 remanufactured 1 year/unlimited mileage warranty... $625 www.citymotorsupply.com I've been told $1,200 to install the motor, of course it includes the engine's cost.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You gotta learn somewhere, sometime. If it fails, you only have yourself to blame, and no one to argue with. IMO it's better to do the work yourself.

Although a GM crate motor is nice for a warranty, they are (mostly? All?) generic motor's, not custom designed (cam, heads, compression, intake) for YOUR use.

If you have friends to help, (including this board) and most importantly, have the time, space and tools, you can do any work on your truck you can think of.

if you don't feel comfortable doing your own work, don't. But EVERYONE starts somewhere, and without doing it, you have never started.

I guess I'm the dissenting opinion here, but if you are willing to learn, and don't mind doing work, then it will be a learning experience. If you don't WANT to learn, then pay someone else, and HOPE that they care about your engine/truck.

12. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I would say do not try the rebuild on your own (for the first time). You can get a crate motor that will do what you want. Then when you have the time, money, space, etc. dive in and give it a shot, it really is the only way to ever learn. Good Luck.

13. Big_B_Murphy

Big_B_Murphy 1/2 ton status

Do it on your own. That is the best way to learn. Find some friends who are knowlegeable and utilize their advice. If you know how to pay attention to detail and are patient, you will be happier in the long run with an engine that you rebuild yourself. A buddy of mine just rebuilt his angine in a turd bronco. He had never done anything that in depth before, and he didn't think that he could do it. He had paid to have angines done in the past. Now he can't believe he ever paid anyone to do it before. And he really knows has truck's engine compatment inside and out.
    Got for it. Be patient. Seek advice from people who have done it before. Don't take shortcuts. You will be happier with the finished product if you do it yourself.

14. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

ok this is what you should do ? take the engine out of your truck with help from your friends. tag all your electrical connections so you know where they go when its time to reinstall your fresh engine? next strip your engine down to the long block? take the long block down to a rebuild shop tell him what you want in respect to H.P. next he will tell you how much? you will save more than enough $$$$$ doing the swap yourself to get the H.P you want ITS NOT THAT HARD. if you need to take some photo's close up's so you can look at them during the reinstall just to keep your mind at ease that this goes there and that goes there. if you get stuck or are not sure of something you have k5 guru's from all over the U.S.A to help . good luck kid

15. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

If you don't have all of the tools or knowledge, or can't find someone who has, and can come over and walk you through a rebuild, I would not do it myself. The first one I did by my self ran for a week before it blew up. All that money wasted. I have found someone to help me on my next one and will do it right. The only advice I have if you rebuild it yourself, is make absoutly sure you are doing it right, and take your time. If I were you, I would have someone else rebuild it, but do the engine swap to gain mechanical knowledge.

16. Hossbaby50

He has got a really good point. If you have the equipment do the R&R yourself. If you don't have the equipment, rent it. Disconnect and label everything. Take pictures of the TBI unit and all the hook ups to it, and anything else that might get compicated. Then take the motor for a rebuild, and like said before, tell them what you want. MAKE SURE you tell them you have fuel injection though. If you don't they could get to radical with the cam, and the motor wouldn't run right.

17. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I agree with brooklyn... that or get a crate motor dropped instead of a lame stock one. Ask your parents if you could possible pay the difference between the 2 grand quote and having a 330 hp gm motor dropped in. Labor should be in the 500 area. Most shops will just be getting a rebuilt motor from one of their trusted sources like Jasper and then installing it anyways.

18. 4x4machine

4x4machine Registered Member

I'm all for doing it yourself. The first engine I ever rebuilt (last spring) has been running strong (~350-375hp) for a year now. And oh boy it has really taken its fair share of abuse. It took me a few months to do becuase I wanted to do it right the first time. I got help from a few knowledgable friends, made alot of phone calls, have a ton of manuals. The thing is now I can appreciate what I built that's purring away under my hood.

But I must agree, crate engines are good, if you want a decently priced engine with not bad hp, they are the way to go. They are guarenteed to run. And remember too, 250hp is alot of horsepower, that's twice the power of my nissan. So its a tough call, since you claim to be mechanically ignorant, i would say go crate then.

19. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

bklynlifted's plan sounds the best to me. that is if you have all of the tools you need (or at least friends who do). take it out strip it down and clean it, then have the block and heads dropped off at a machine shop and have THEM check all thge clearances. i have rebuilt 2 engines with success, the first was a 350 (surprising /forums/images/icons/cool.gif) and all i did was buy $99 ring and bearing kit. of course, i took the heads in to vo-tech and did a 3-angle valve job. i didnt even measure the rods, mains, piston clearances etc /forums/images/icons/blush.gif. this engine was also a basket case when i got it, and it got me through the last 2 years of high school, in fact i pulled it out of the car it was in and dropped in my 64 pick'up. 350's are pretty forgiving!! take your time, take notes, take pictures, have a buddy or two around, and you wont have any problems!!!

GOOD LUCK rob

one last thing i just remembered- one day i had the hood up on the ole 64 and the engine was purring away. my dad walked up and said "Damn rob, i cant believe how good that thing sounds!" not that he was doubting me, but some people freak out when they hold a piston in their hand one day, then hear the engine run the next.