Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Prime Rib...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Today at work, while I was eating my $12.00 Prime Rib meal, I was thinking...

Maybe I could save a lot of money by making Prime Rib at my house instead of paying $10-$15 whenever I have a hankerin for some...

But... then I thought... I don't know the first thing about cooking meat. I just figured out how to cook a chicken breast on the George Foreman last week...

How would I go about picking out a good quality slab of meat? and how am I supposed to cook the hunk of cow once I have it? I like it nice and juicy /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Prime rip is easy to make. My boos makes it every Saturday, or used to before slow winter season. Grab meat, throw in pot, season heavily, little water, cover, bake on low heat for a long time.

I think Tim (my boss) said he could get it for me at $3.85 a pound

3. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

You can buy it already to cook, seasoned and everything at Sams Club. Called standing Rib Roast. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

what about Mad Cow disease? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

by the way, when I moved out west last summer, I drove. I must say the Wyoming is some of the most beautiful land I have ever seen. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

5. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Standing rib roast
    I saw this show a few years ago. It's called Good Eats on the Food Network. Anyway, Christmas before last, my mom was cooking up a prime rib and wasn't too sure what to do (which surprised me 'cause my mom is one hell of a cook, lots of that rubbed off on me too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif). So I pulled up this recipe off the internet. She hadn't aged the beef like the recipe says to, but she went with it anyway. In the recipe, it states to cook the roast inside a terra cotta planter inside the oven, she didn't do that either. I actually saw a rerun of the show a few months back, and the reason he used the pot was because the oven he was using had not been cleaned in ages, the walls were coated with grime. The pot was to ensure even heating all around the roast, a dirty oven does not allow that. So, if your oven is relatively clean, no need for the planter/pot. Anyway, it turned out PERFECT! My mom was like, "Holy Shizzle!" So she kept the recipe. The dual cooking temps used give you a real nice crust on the outside while the inside is tender and perfectly cooked. Give it a try.

By the way, Prime Rib is a standing rib roast, graded PRIME. You will not find a true prime rib in you're local market, they all go out to restaurants. You will be able to buy a CHOICE rib roast, which is just as good for common folks like you and me. Same cut, different grade. Of course, if you know someone who slaughters their own catle..... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Get a smoker.

I am tryint to get in the habbit of firing up the smoker every Sunday and pre cook 3-4 meals for the week.

This sunday We did a healthsized roast, couple other chunks of beef with different rubs. Salmon, Chicken and a dozen hot dogs. Other then the hot dogs I let the rest cook at around 150-175 for 7.5 hours. Mostly Charcoal but threw a cunk of Mesquite (sp) in every hour or so. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Had the salmon tonight. Wonderful!
    Tomorrow we will get into that roast. Had a little sample and boy was it tasty.

Smoker is a good way to cook. If you do it right most of the fat runs off it an leaves it relatively lean. Watch what you rub it with and your ok. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif