Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Primer for bedliner, or bare metal?

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by dremu, Feb 2, 2005.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Gonna spray and/or roll in the do-it-yourself bedliner ... gonna clean up the surface first, either wire wheel or maybe even sandblast :woot:

So, the question: do I primer the bare metal, or will the bedliner adhere better to the bare metal, no primer?

I'm tempted to use primer, to etch the surface some, but figgered I could ask.

-- A

2. baldamish

baldamish 1/2 ton status

Don't know if it helps, but I had the professional spray in done to my truck. I was asking questions prior to having it done, they said they just roughed it up w/ a wire wheel, leaving the paint on. Used some acetone to be sure there was no grease or oil and then sprayed.....hopefully it helps.

3. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

it just roughed the surface real good and did the same as above I rolled on the Herculiner and it is still goin strong just make sure there's no overly large smooth areas and that it is CLEAN- prep is what gives the best outcome so prep well.

oh, and on a side note keep it off your hootus this s*!t will stick to you for weeks!