Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

primer or sealer first?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83K5BLZR, Mar 2, 2002.

1. 83K5BLZR

83K5BLZR Registered Member

When replacing the body sealer between the doors and the rear quaters, should the sealer/caulk be put on the bare metal first or should the area be primered prior to sealing?

2. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

Most products will recommend that you apply the sealer to primed areas then paint over it I did that to my 89 trans am gta on the entire car when I restored it and I never had any rust come through. I used bodytech joint seam sealer and that is great stuff I also used it on my blazer on the underneath when I redid my floors I used a caulking gun and filled in all the gaps and seams then I undercoated everything without a problem .And best of all this stuff sticks to por-15 .hope this helps good luck

1988 k-5 blazer 5.7

3. 83K5BLZR

83K5BLZR Registered Member

That helps alot, I have also put POR15 on the inside floors. Knowing that the sealer will adhere to it is good news. Thanks for the insight on the proper sequence.

Bob