Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Primer paint in the elements????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i just thought of something... Since im using Black primer to paint my truck... Is water going to [darn] it up at all or what? Should i buy regular flat black paint? or should i rattle can some clear coat on there? Or would it be alright to just leave it alone... I like the rough look of primer black, Would Flat black paint look the same if i had to use it? Thx /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

The only good way to protect primer is to paint it. So, in your case, I would go with the flat black paint... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

My buddies cj5 heep has been in black primer for a year, lasts long and easy to touch up. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

It depends on the primer. If it's something like the old lacquer primer-surfacer {it's old but alot of folks still use it}, then no,,,,, it will only prevent rust for awhile. It is porous and eventually {a year or two depending on the weather and the thickness of the primer} it will allow rust.

If it is a primer-sealer, then most likely it'll be fine. Something like good old DP90 or any other two part primer would be great.

5. Silver84k5

its krylon...... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

If you have paint underneath it should last for a while. Anywhere you're primering directly over bare metal will develope rust in a few months. My suggestion is to paint over the bare metal with a gloss black, then primer over the paint... I know it's back asswards but it works /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. Silver84k5

thx... im just gonna pick up some flat black paint tommorow and if it looks the same as the primer black them im just gonna start paintin everything again...

8. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

i used grey rattle can primer 2 yrs ago, and it has survived freezing temps and snow/ice as well as summers of 100+ temps. there are a few spots starting to show original paint. its easy to touch up too.

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I bought the $2.00 cans of grey primer at the local auto parts store, and within a few months i had light surface rust coming through it, nothing like a build up of rust, just light discoloring rust areas where maybe the primer was not thick enough i guess, going to get the whole truck repainted soon though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I would imagine it needs to be a good quality primer to work well and somewhat water resistant.

10. Silver84k5

well ultra flat black looks like complete hell.. all Charcoaly and blotchy... Semi flat looks decent but a little too shiny... you can see some rock chips that were barely noticable with the Primer... Im gonna try my luck with the primer i guess...... Ill just do the front clip and see how it looks after a few weeks.. My concern is water spots and mud stains mainly... we'll see how it goes... Thx for the replies.

11. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

use primer then use the spray clear coat. My brother redid his 50 chevy in red primer and used the clear coat..water just beads up. before he didn't have it sealed and it got surface rust way too quick, especialy in Oregon weather.

12. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

I've always been told primer is not a sealer.

13. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

thats the truth. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    use primer then use the spray clear coat. My brother redid his 50 chevy in red primer and used the clear coat..water just beads up. before he didn't have it sealed and it got surface rust way too quick, especialy in Oregon weather.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's a good idea I like that, prolly wouldn't look half bad. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Also with primer not being a sealer it will hold moisture = rust.
    Then when you spray more on it you trap it there = more rust.
    That's why when you are going to be spraying on good paint you can't let it get wet, good way to get fish eyes.
    And it has to be sealed before a top coat goes on, it draws in paint and you get dead spots. And if there is bondo underneith it realy stands out.
    Some colors are worse than others.
    But the black primer and a clear coat sounds like a plan.
    Any imperfections are gonna stand out like a sore pecker with black paint though. But what the hell they do now with white paint /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. Silver84k5

i sprayed some clearcoat on it last night and it defeats the purpose of having flat paint it made it all shiny.

16. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

they make none shinny clear coat. it's semi clear, leaves a flat finish. I'v used it on alot of stuff. I won't say what though......