Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Primer work through one winter???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tayv, Oct 17, 2003.

1. tayv

tayv Registered Member

If i just used some spray can primer to coat my truck will it hold up through the rain of one winter? I know it will last for a while but just how long. I need to get it out of the garage. If any of you are running an all primer rig, your info would be greatly appreciated. THank you!!

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

If you did a good job and let it dry fully before getting it wet, primer will last a looooong time.

3. tayv

tayv Registered Member

Thanks alot. I am tiredf planning and waiting for the right paint and the right time to pain it. I want to go out and try to break it!!

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i have primer on my rig.it lasts a couple of months then the rust starts popping out.check my link below to see it.

5. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Primers are all different, but most spray omb primers wont hold up very long, They are pretty porous and allow moisture to soak through this is why the rust comes through the primer. If you want to leave it in primer and have it hold up, expoxy primer is about the only thing that will do what your looking for.

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

laquer primer is very porous, don't use it. enamels and epoxies will last quite awhile providing you get adequate coverage.

7. Snowbound

Snowbound Registered Member

Got some industrial grey primer from walmart .94 cents a can took 3 months to rust through. /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Even if you can't see the rust, it will form under the primer almost immediately. You will need to strip it off and reprime if you're going to paint it and want it to last. If you want a truck that's primer then check out Zerorust paint. It's not as flat as regular primer, it's semigloss, but it is designed as a rust preventative coating and will last as a topcoat. Cheap too, only $50 for a gallon of black. Not sure how much it is for rattle cans.

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Sealer primer, unless you want more rust.....