Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Priming an '82 6.2L??

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by surg82k5, Mar 17, 2002.

1. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

Priming an \'82 6.2L??

I am just wondering if anyone has any ideas about how to prime a 6.2 I know that on my 82 it is a pain when you change filters or the fuel pump because i mainly have to use the starter to make the pump suck fuel through the system, i have thought about adding an inline electric fuel pump to help prime the filters when i change them but just curious if anyone has their own special way to go about this. I hope everyone can understand this,
    sergio

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: Priming an \'82 6.2L??

I usually have to fill both filters, turn the truck over for about 15 seconds, and then fill the filters again. This seems to get most of the air out of the system. She'll run like crap with lots of surging for about a minute and then smooth out.

I swap out my fuel filters every spring and the above has worked for me every time.

3. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

The instructions I read at the time I changed my fuel filter told me to pull the pink wire (I believe) from the injector pump to prime the engine.

I think it was in the Hayne's Diesel manual, and it worked like a charm. Not a bad book to have in your arsenal of tools.

4. 83K5

83K5 Registered Member

I have a better way I learned from 6.2 man . Take the line off the secondary filter . The line that goes to the injector pump . I but a brass fitting in it that has a fitting for hose . I then put one of those hand pumps from harbour frieght and put the inline on it . Then I drop the other hose into a container and use that pump to pull the fuel thru the filters . When I see fuel I stop and hook up the injector line and it will start right up !!!Any questions just let me know !!

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The '82 models are a real pain because GM didn't install any valve to help prime the filters.

However, I have found that simply topping the filters off with clean diesel fuel before screwing them back on, and then starting the motor with the throttle about half-way depressed works just fine. Keeping the revs up after starting quickly works the air out of the system.

The second best way is to disconnect the pink wire to the injection pump, as was stated. This prevents air from being pushed into the injection lines while you crank the motor. But, it's hard to know when you've worked all the air out of the system. So that's why I go with my first suggestion.

Casey

6. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Hopefully,in this weekend I can try to start my K5.Exhaust is under construction,and little this and that,but hothing bigger.

I have whole fuel system empty.Filters are easy,I have dual filter base from Bosch(two spin-on filters),so I just fill them.

Question is,what about injection pump?It's rebuilt,and I've been told that it takes affully lot of cranking to start it if injection pump is empty.Can I prime it before starting or should I test how good battery I have on my rig/forums/images/icons/smile.gif?

7. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

If you don't have an electric fuel pump, then it will take a lot of cranking.

Here's what I would suggest: remove all your glow plugs.....this will release the compression on the motor and allow it to spin over much easier. Then, crack open all your injection lines. Spin the motor over in short (30 seconds) bursts, allowing the starter to cool for several minutes between tries. When fuel starts to dribble out of an injection line, tighten it back up. Keep doing this until you have at least 4 or 5 lines primed and tightened back up. Go ahead and tighten the rest of the lines, reinstall the glow plugs, and try to fire her up.

It should only take 3 or 4 tries to get the fuel system built up.

Make absolutely sure you allow the starter to cool down. I installed a rebuilt injection pump one time, and I ended up burning a starter up trying to start that thing. Turns out the diesel shop screwed something up in the pump, probably the fuel cut-off solenoid, so that I had to remove the pump and take it back to them. I learned my lesson about allowing the starter to cool down, that's for sure.

Casey

8. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Thanks,I'll try to do it that way.I already removed the glow plugs earlier(actually,four of them.Another four were lost).

Didn't have time to finish exhaust on weekend,and I had a few parts missing.Yesterday I bought those parts,went back home,and after couple of hours I found that I still need to buy some more parts/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif.

Well,maybe on thursday I can fire her up/forums/images/icons/smile.gif.