Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Priming before start up Q

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by talldogg, Oct 25, 2000.

1. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

On an engine that's been sitting for a while (about a year) is there anything that should be squirted in to the cylinders to prevent damage to the rings before being fired up? Thanks.

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

2. 83K5

83K5 Registered Member

What I would do is pull the plugs and turn engine over with the starter .Keep it turning until you see your pressure gauge shows pressure . Then re install plugs and start her up .

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think it kind of depends on how its been stored for the last year. Outside without a hood?[​IMG] Heated garage?
    Myself I would pull the plugs and squirt a little oil into each cylinder. I'd install fresh oil and filter, and I would consider pulling the distributor and using a drill to spin the oil pump until I had pressure. Then I would re-install the distributor. Then I would spin it over without the plugs a few times, re-install the plugs and try and start it. If necessary I would put a couple of drops of fuel into the carb to help it along.

Rene

[​IMG]

4. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I am with Rusty, except that you will have to modify a distributor by removing the cam gear. Then you can put it in the distributor hole and use a drill to spin it. This way you can build oil pressure. If you use a screw driver, all of the oil will leak around the hole that the distrib fills and you will get little to no pressure and the top end will not get oiled prior to start up. If you go this route, the oil in the cylinders will not be necessary.

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Adding on to what tRustyK5 said, you can buy an oil priming rod that goes down into the distributor hole (after you pull it out) that mates up to the oil pump to lube the motor. I have also heard valve springs tend to kind of "flatten" due to sitting for a long period of time. NOt sure how big a deal or how bad a problem, just what I heard and read. To replace all the valve springs sounds like a job might be best avoided if you can.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com