Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

priming the block after installation.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Feb 13, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

so i'm putting my engine back together and i'm wondering if when i get the engine into the truck, should i fill the water jacket? i'm also curious if it's possible to manually turn the oil pump on my 6.2 - the machinist wasn't familiar with how to do it on this engine. i would imagine all it would take would be turning the crank - is this the case?

2. colbystephens

3. kram

kram Registered Member

prime the oil

on my 350 i left the plugs out.spun the motor with a 1/2 drive ratchit.
    4 to 5 revs brought oil to the rockers.install fan, shroud,plugs and fired
    it up.

4. chvymudin3388

chvymudin3388 1/2 ton status

the best thing to do is take an old distributor that fits the motor take and grind of the gears put it in the motor attach a 1/2 inch drive drill and turn it on and have someone watch the oil pressusre gauge i usually do it till it quits rising also hleps to put engine assembly lube on everythng when puttin it all together

5. colbystephens

that would be good for an engine which has a distributor. anyone have any thoughts on the coolant? i'm not too concerned about the oil issue - i figure i'll dump a quart of oil over both heads before installing the valve covers, then i'll turn the crank by hand a few times before i try to fire it the first time. assembly lube ofcourse is a must - that's not what i'm asking.

6. chvymudin3388

chvymudin3388 1/2 ton status

oops sorry bout that i forgot diesels aint got distributors darn im stumped

7. colbystephens

no worries.

8. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The coolant will fill the engine when you fill the radiator

9. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

im not sure on the 6.2 diesels, but on the newer FWD cars with a distributorless ignition, there is an oil pump shaft where the distributor would be. it runs off the cam and turns the oil pump. i would immagine that a diesel has the same thing. if thats the case, id see if a sbc distributor would fit init to prime it. or you can try to modify the stock oilpump shaft so you can hook a drill to it.

10. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

isn't the oil pump driven off the bottom of the vaccuum pump? I'd think you could use the same priming tool from a v8 on it.

11. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Back when I was a Heavy Duty Diesel mechanic, we used to pack our oil pumps with Lithium grease for the initial fire up. This causes the pump to build pressure instantly, but I was mostly working on Detroit’s. Another thing we did to get them to take fuel on the initial fire up, was leave the fuel lines to the injectors cracked open a little bit, and then squirt a little ether down the air intake. We had to be extremely careful with the ether though. Too much can damage the engine. Once the thing fired, we immediately closed up the fuel lines. I do not particularly recommend the ether trick, but we did not care because the engines where not ours, but for a fleet of trucks we maintained.

12. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I prime diesels for oil with a regulated pressure bottle through where ever you'd hook up a mechanical oil psi guage. I dunno about a 6.2, I've never had one apart, but most heavy's are directly driven off the geartrain. Pressure bottle, regulator, couple hoses couple fittings, and shop air. take the valve covers off, confirm oil at each rocker. Then fill the pan.

And the block will fill through the rad.

13. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

After some checking, it appears that you can indeed prime the oil pump by yanking the vaccuum pump. But, wouldn't it be easier to disconnect the injector pump wiring, and just crank it with the starter for a bit? The 6.2 should be priority main, so I wouldn't think it'd hurt anything.

14. colbystephens

i'm not familiar with that term. care to explain priority main? i'm pretty sure i'll be fine on oil - my main question was the coolant. thanks guys.

15. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

main bearings get priority oil