Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Priming the fuel system.....6.2

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by ChevyDrivnRdneck, Mar 11, 2003.

1. ChevyDrivnRdneck

ChevyDrivnRdneck 1/2 ton status

What is the easiest ...or best way to prime the fuel system???? Just picked up an 82 K5 with a 6.2 and the last guy ran it out of fuel. Never tried to prime the system on one of these before. Does it gravity feed????

2. OAKES

OAKES Registered Member

What i have done on my 86 6.2 which sould be about the same. lossen the perge screw on the fuel filter first and make sure you have fuel going this far, crank over until air is pushed out, tighten screw/valve. then loosen off your fuel lines on the injectors and crank the engine over until you see the diesel dripping from the loosened nuts tighten the fuel line at this point and move to the next injector until you feel you have most of the air out, watch your spillage on the exaust manifold you don't want a fire. after this there should be no question of the amount of air in the system. it is always a good idea to check the fuel lines again to make sure they are tight. and remember not to over heat your starter give it sufficent cool down time between cracking.
    good luck (WATCH YOU DON'T START A FIRE WITH THE FUEL THAT YOU LET DRIP) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. ChevyDrivnRdneck

ChevyDrivnRdneck 1/2 ton status

Thank You !!!! I didn't know exactly where to start..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I hate to say this to you Aaron but if you do a search you will find the instructions very detailed, but he basically summed it up for you.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

This is the equivalent on this forum of "what size tire can I fit under..." on the 2nd Gen 4x4 forum.

5. Txstruck

Txstruck Registered Member

Loosen the bleeder on the fuel filter, then unplug the "Pink" wire in the injector pump so you dont air lock it. Then crank it over till fuel comes out of filter. Then plug the pink wire back in. and it should start fairly easy. Just dont crank any longer that about 20-30 seconds or youll burn the starter up. Diesel on!! /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif