Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Priming the oil system

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by det45, Feb 6, 2001.

1. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

Well I am just about ready to install my new 5.7 GM GoodWrench engine with the Eldebrock MPI system into my 89 K5. I've had some people tell me that the oil system must be primed prior to initial start up. Now the chevy dealer told me that the new crate engines are already primed however I want to make sure I do the right thing. There is oil residue in the lifter vally however the rocker arms are dry under the valve covers. The engine cost me over two thousand dollars along with the eldebrock MPI system that cost me another 1K. (3K total Invested) Anyway, if I have to prime the engine, where can I find a priming tool to turn the oil pump prior to spiking the distributor. P.S. Is there anyone out there using the eldebrock MPI system and if so, how is it working? .....Thanks.....Det45

One Fine 89.....

2. northgate

northgate Registered Member

You can use an old distributor to make a priming tool. Remove the shaft and cut it off below the rotor mounting plate. Grind the teeth off the drive gear. Cut the housing just below the flange where the cap fastens. Then you just reassemble it and use a drill to turn it. Don't just use anything that will turn the oil pump because the distributor housing blocks one of the camshaft oil galleries from dumping oil back down the the crankcase. Also, if your rockers are dry, pour LL5 (assembly lube available from NAPA) on them. It's good stuff (really sticky--it won't drain away quickly).

3. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

northgates method works the best, make sure you plug the hole for an oil guage if it has one, I found this out the hard way by shooting a laser like oil stream across my 40 foot shop!

Theres No Replacement for Cubic Inches!

4. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

If you don't have an old distributor to cut up, you can purchase a tool for this purpose. I believe that I bought mine from Summit.

D. Johnson
    78 Blazer