Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Priming the pump

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, May 21, 2003.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Can you pack an oil pump with grease to prime it or is it too thick? I need to know soon, i'm gonna be puttin the pan on my engine. Thx.

2. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

Never heard of doing that.

I bought a oil pump priming tool from the parts store for less than $10 that you put in a drill and stick down the distributor hole to prime. Works really well.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Can you pack an oil pump with grease to prime it or is it too thick? I need to know soon, i'm gonna be puttin the pan on my engine. Thx.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> I'd say that that's a bad idea. A really bad idea... If you don't want to spend the $10 on the priming tool, cut off an old screwdriver and chuck it in a drill to prime the pump. Or get a peice of 1/2" bar and grind one end to a flat and chuck that in a drill. </font>

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Dont do it! the grease is to heavy and will block it. Shaggy's cheap trick works great for priming pump and running oil through bottom end. If you want to prime the whole engine, Get an old distributer and remove the drive gear and weights and weight plates. and attach that to your 1/2 drill.

5. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Alright, thanks for the warning guys! I may go down and get one of those tools. Just a little extra insurance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifAll you have to do is pour a little oil into the pump BEFORE bolting it on!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif This wil not however prime/pump oil into the oil gallies but it works I've done ot twice without any problems. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif This is what the machinist who built my motor said to do and he's a NW ovaltrack racer/engine builder who is very reputable!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif