Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Printed Circuit Boards In Dash?????????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

WTF do they do exactly????????????????

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Are you referring to the sorta-flexible one behind the gauge cluster? If so, that's what powers the gauges . Why the General did that... who the hell knows.

3. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

had to replace mine a few months ago. i agree that's not a good way to run the instruments.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You mean short of supplying +, -, to the gauges, various bulbs, (illumination, high beam, turn signals, check engine/choke, 4wd, brake, plus idiot lights if not gauge equipped) and carrying the output of the various senders/sensors to said gauges?

I'm sure GM did it partially because it's a good way to cut down on clutter, wiring hassle/expense, maintenance, and how deep the dash needed to be. Nothing at all wrong with PCB's, think of one electrical device that doesn't use one. (well, ok, one that doesn't use a circuit board of one type or other) Not to mention every GM vehicle I can think of, 1970's into at least the 1990's.

A single connector into the back of the cluster makes more sense than 18 wires terminating in seperate locations.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2005